Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Mother Theresa made a Catholic saint.  (Read 1122 times)

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Mother Theresa made a Catholic saint.
on: September 06, 2016, 05:49:28 AM
What do you all think?
I personally think that the concept of Mother Theresa (or Teresa, depending on how you spell it) as a lovely woman who served the poor is completely false; look at her baptizing Hindus and other religious members into Catholicism without their knowledge or consent. In addition, her "houses of the dying" (places where she denied people who were in suffering medical care, since it, in her mind, led them to Christ) were also atrocious.

Your thoughts?

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mother Theresa made a Catholic saint.
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 07:43:01 AM
I think she was a misguided evil old hag and the worst example of what religion can do to the weakest of minds.

Due to her belief in this superstitious nonsense, hundreds in her care died in agony and were offered only prayers, not medication, whilst her charities hoarded millions.

Her sainthood shows just how far removed the church is from reality.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 07:50:34 AM
I agree that the result of it was horrible; the question I would pose to you is thus: do you think she did this with malicious intent? Or was she just extremely, extremely misguided?

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 07:54:51 AM
What do you all think? Your thoughts?

Sadly enough, I think these sorts of things convince people to AVOID religion. The more they try to fashion Mother Theresa as a saint, the more it will come to light what a fraudulent hoax the Catholic Church is trying to peddle.

It's because of stuff like this, that I'm an atheist.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 04:11:10 PM
I agree that the result of it was horrible; the question I would pose to you is thus: do you think she did this with malicious intent? Or was she just extremely, extremely misguided?

I think that religion can cause otherwise good people to do horrible things. I don't think she was malicious, just that her beliefs blinded her to reason.

Hitchen's book called Hells Angel is pretty essential reading if you have not already read it.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline georgey

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 03:17:46 AM
What do you all think?
I personally think that the concept of Mother Theresa (or Teresa, depending on how you spell it) as a lovely woman who served the poor is completely false; look at her baptizing Hindus and other religious members into Catholicism without their knowledge or consent. In addition, her "houses of the dying" (places where she denied people who were in suffering medical care, since it, in her mind, led them to Christ) were also atrocious.

Your thoughts?

You may be correct form what I read, but I am not sure the concept is completely false.  She did win many awards for her work and she is now a Catholic saint.

The baptizing you mention does not bother me in the least, but some of her medical practices, if true, does bother me a lot.  This includes what you mention as well as not separating tuberculosis patients from others, etc.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 10:42:04 PM
I find it kind of odd that someone can become a saint like that.  (Also heard she wasn't but I'm not looking it up.)  It's almost like someone could earn their way into becoming a saint.  Although when you're dead, it doesn't do much good what living people vote you into.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 12:04:28 AM
IIRC (though it's been a long time since I bothered to think about Catholicism), in order to be a saint in the Catholic Church, you have to perform 2 "verified" miracles.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 01:07:59 AM
IIRC (though it's been a long time since I bothered to think about Catholicism), in order to be a saint in the Catholic Church, you have to perform 2 "verified" miracles.

cool
so theresa had superpowers. there a vid?

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 01:16:42 AM
I don't get this saint stuff. Catholics can use saints for prayers etc as if these dead humans are gods, sorta like ancestor worship in Chinese traditions I guess.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 05:16:37 AM

It is a miracle that she never worked out that the cure for poverty are condoms.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 02:13:09 PM
It is a miracle that she never worked out that the cure for poverty are condoms.

Thal

Silly Thal
Not wanting to overpopulate and spread STDs is a sin, remember?
Or was?
Not sure, can't keep track when the catholic church just keeps changing its "absolute" laws of God! It's almost as if they're accommodating the current sociopolitical climate in Europe, kind of like a business. Haha forget that, maybe God really just is indecisive. Thank goodness he changed his mind about basic contraception though! :D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert