Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Frédéric Chopin - Waltz in A Minor Op. Posth. No. 19 (VIDEO)  (Read 2669 times)

Offline xxteydreyxx

Hey Everyone,

I haven't done a classical piece since 2011 (the last one being Air on a G String by Bach) and I'm slowly starting to get back into it again. This my cover of Chopin's Waltz in A Minor ... There are several minor "plays" during this video. Since, I have several assignments due in the next few weeks and final exams coming up (RIP life), I recorded the piece and the video as fast as I can, forgive me for that.. lol. Plus, I'm planning to learn Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence by Ryuichi Sakamoto before christmas, so that certainly affected my way of playing this piece. Early next year, I amy do a re-take if you think it's that bad (lol)

If you want to give criticisms about my playing, especially for this piece, please feel free. Constructive criticisms or a straight roast session, up to you... HAHAH

WATCH:

YouTube:

SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/xxteydreyxx/chopin-waltz-in-a-minor-piano

Offline kalospiano

Re: Frédéric Chopin - Waltz in A Minor Op. Posth. No. 19 (VIDEO)
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 03:04:04 PM
maybe not the most original interpretation to my hears, but very good playing.

Offline xxteydreyxx

Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 08:11:31 AM
This piece, I guess, is one of the easiest classical pieces I've found. However, expressing my own "interpretation" of this piece is one of the hardest things to do for some reason. I've listened to many covers of it and a lot of people played it slow, whereas, some played it fast. I also did wrong when I based my "interpretation" on people's preference of the piece, as many said that playing it slow is "better" (This goes back to how it's hard to interpret this piece as my own). During recording, I tried to have this sort of "imagery" in my head to help me have a sort of interpretation of the piece. But, I guess it was still lacking.   

Actually, I tried my best to stray away from Classical pieces since its so extremely technical not only in terms of techniques used but also, how you interpret the piece that makes it your own. Especially, when so many people have covered this piece already which makes it more "difficult" to have my own cover "stand out". But, I still made a cover as the the melody of Chopin's Waltz in A Minor really intrigued me (lol).

If that's the case, then I'll go back to the drawing board and think of how to make this piece truly my own and make another attempt (probably early next year haha).

Anyways, thanks for watching!

Offline kalospiano

Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 10:17:40 PM
Just to be clear, I wasn't in any way trying to diss your playing. I think did a very good job. Sometimes it's indeed difficult to play in such a way that really stands out from the other thousands of versions, so I don't think you should see it like such a big deal. Plus, appreciating one interpretation over another  often comes down to personal tastes. If you can manage to pull this kind of playing, I wouldn't really stray away from classical pieces as you said you do.

Offline elainemusic369

Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 08:28:44 PM
Beautifully played! I like the sound of your digital piano, recorded very well!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert