Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Please help me decide on competition program!  (Read 1710 times)

Offline marijn1999

Please help me decide on competition program!
on: October 23, 2016, 10:30:10 PM
Hi guys,

So there is this competition coming up in about four months (the first rounds are on 17, 18 and 19 February 2017). I signed up for it because I've never done it before and haven't given a concert for two years now. Anyway, I thought it would be good for my devolopment to experience the stage once again.

Now, the repertoire/program requirements are very simple. You will be put into a category from 13-15, 16-18 and 19-20 years, you can basically play whatever you want as long as you don't exceed the ten minute mark too much.

So I found out (via the competition's YouTube channel that Bach has not been played very often and if played, it wasn't in the finals. So I decided to do something by Bach, also because he's my favorite composer. Next got that I think Brahms fits very well as a second piece (not all his work, but some pieces). It will be music that I have never played or practiced before. Also, I the pieces are a bit above my level, however I know them very well.

These are the combinations I was thinking of:

• Bach: Prelude and Fugue No. 20 in A minor, BWV 865 (WTC I) & Brahms: Ballade in G minor, Op. 118/3
  • Bach: Prelude and Fugue No. 3 in C-Sharp major, BWV 848 (WTC I) & Brahms: Intermezzo in E-flat minor, Op. 118/6
  • Bach: Prelude and Fugue No. 22 in B-flat minor, BWV 891 (WTC II) & Brahms: Capriccio in B minor, Op, 76/2
  • Bach: Contrapunctus No. 4 and 9 (Art of Fugue) & Brahms: Ballade in B minor, Op. 10/3

So, I really can't decide and don't even know if these are realistic. Remember, I cannot play any of the music yet (except sight reading through some of it) but know them very well. Will I be able to learn any of these programs in the fifteen weeks I have? Also, I'm totally open to suggestions for other pieces or substitutions for the ones I mentioned.

Thank you all in advance. I really appreciate it!

BW,
Marijn
[/list]
Composing and revising old pieces.
---------------------------------------
Visit my YouTube channel! (https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCR0LNNGEPY002W1UXWkqtSw)

Offline kitty on the keys

• PS Silver Member
Re: Please help me decide on competition program!
Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 10:37:12 PM
I like programs 2 and 3. I might swap the Bach and Brahms around. Nice choice of pieces.

Kitty  on the keys
Kitty on the Keys
James Lee

Offline marijn1999

Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 10:49:18 PM
I like programs 2 and 3. I might swap the Bach and Brahms around. Nice choice of pieces.

Kitty  on the keys

Thanks for your opinion. I appreciate it, but don't you think the program will be to dark and tragic when I paid the BWV 891 with the Op. 118/6?

Marijn
Composing and revising old pieces.
---------------------------------------
Visit my YouTube channel! (https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCR0LNNGEPY002W1UXWkqtSw)

Offline pianoamatuer

Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 05:34:43 PM
Be -sorta- realistic. Think about how much time you have. Think about how much practice you can fit in. What about your teacher -if so?- ? Do you think you have even a little chance of perfecting those pieces?
If you do, I say go at them. It will be a great, delightful experience for you.  Be optimistic. The people who are crazy enough to think they can do it are the people that do.
And don't worry about being a tragic tone to the piano. Is that not what you want? Play music that you want to play. Music is all about sharing emotions toward your audience. If you don't want to play a tragic piece, than might I say that you should take a look at what you want to play?
I'm just a amateur taking a unconventional approach on the graceful, amazing piano.

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 11:36:59 AM
I love the second option, great contrasts in mood, and they're two great pieces. The Brahms I especially love - the idea of writing a theme that only really spans a minor third and yet is so expressive!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert