Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: [Video] Chopin - Etude Op. 10 No. 1 in C major / C dur  (Read 2418 times)

Offline lafo

• PS Silver Member
[Video] Chopin - Etude Op. 10 No. 1 in C major / C dur
on: October 29, 2016, 11:30:54 AM
Favorite etude :) Hope you like it and suggestions are welcomed for improvement :)

Offline stevensk

Re: [Video] Chopin - Etude Op. 10 No. 1 in C major / C dur
Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 04:24:30 PM
-Pretty good!!  ...but your left hand!!??  ::)  :o  ???   :P  >:(

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 06:47:09 PM
Not just his left, but his right hand too. I've been thinking about this for awhile, but your technique is pretty unorthodox, Lafo. But the sound that comes off your playing is marvelous, so I don't think that matters! Great playing, as always. Also enjoyed the Rachmaninoff etude.

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 11:54:05 PM
I think it's to do with the length of his fingers? I know what you mean. I think I pointed something similar out before. Nevertheless, execution is great your hard work is clearly paying off.
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline bandvbandv

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 12:00:51 AM
Hi,
Beautiful playing, Im not of your level of playing, have been learning this etude for about a year on and of, left it first and came back now, feel more ready now, envy your long fingers though, but as a listener, Id suggest to slow it down just a tiny  little bit,  I think  slower it will show the beautiful melody in a left hand better, and it would be perfect in my opinion. Thank you for sharing.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 03:31:00 AM
HOLY F@#K... How wide is your stretch??? You have incredible fingers???

I can barely reach a 10th, and I'm 6ft tall...

Also... after realising something - if you're going to splice in video of the hammers moving up and down, make sure it's actually quasi-in synch with what you're playing. The hammers and notes don't match up, and sometimes the high treble hammers are bouncing up and down, when you're still just reaching the bass clef.

Offline lafo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 08:16:14 AM
-Pretty good!!  ...but your left hand!!??  ::)  :o  ???   :P  >:(

Thanks! :) What you don`t like about the left hand? the position, how it looks, the sound? :)

Not just his left, but his right hand too. I've been thinking about this for awhile, but your technique is pretty unorthodox, Lafo. But the sound that comes off your playing is marvelous, so I don't think that matters! Great playing, as always. Also enjoyed the Rachmaninoff etude.

Thank you very much! :)) I will record this tuesday Op. 10 No. 5 as well :)

I think it's to do with the length of his fingers? I know what you mean. I think I pointed something similar out before. Nevertheless, execution is great your hard work is clearly paying off.
Thank you! :) I don`t know why you find the position of my hands strange.. for me it is very comfortable :D

Hi,
Beautiful playing, Im not of your level of playing, have been learning this etude for about a year on and of, left it first and came back now, feel more ready now, envy your long fingers though, but as a listener, Id suggest to slow it down just a tiny  little bit,  I think  slower it will show the beautiful melody in a left hand better, and it would be perfect in my opinion. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for your comment! I agree that i little bit slower will probably sound better. Do you have a recording of it as well? :)

HOLY F@#K... How wide is your stretch??? You have incredible fingers???

I can barely reach a 10th, and I'm 6ft tall...

Also... after realising something - if you're going to splice in video of the hammers moving up and down, make sure it's actually quasi-in synch with what you're playing. The hammers and notes don't match up, and sometimes the high treble hammers are bouncing up and down, when you're still just reaching the bass clef.

Haha :D I can reach a 12th (c1-g2). I am 6.3 tall :D Thanks for the remark for the spliced video. I need a new PC, because know it is impossible to do anything. Tne frames keep dropping and the audio/ video is out of sync in the program (adobe premier pro). I will try for sure in the next video to fix that :)

Offline bandvbandv

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 01:50:28 PM
No I dont have any recording, as Im learning it now,  after coming back to it, in fact I never made any recording before of anything in my life, but on this forum  I vebeen looking at a lot of people sharing their love  for music  , that is very inspiring, so I might consider trying))
Im learning a few pieces now, one of them is Oscar Peterson 2 exercise that I got when I heard you playing it,I got so interested I check more on your utube channel, I never played any jazz,only classical, and never knew no Oscar Peterson, but I just fell in love with his music, that ex. 2 turned out easy one to learnt, but not to  play, its not the  notes, but to make them sound jazzy made it not that easy, the Lulu you play,  is so great, you have an  amazing  touch, thank you for all the ispiration you give, good luck with your music.

Offline lafo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 06:07:17 PM
No I dont have any recording, as Im learning it now,  after coming back to it, in fact I never made any recording before of anything in my life, but on this forum  I vebeen looking at a lot of people sharing their love  for music  , that is very inspiring, so I might consider trying))
Im learning a few pieces now, one of them is Oscar Peterson 2 exercise that I got when I heard you playing it,I got so interested I check more on your utube channel, I never played any jazz,only classical, and never knew no Oscar Peterson, but I just fell in love with his music, that ex. 2 turned out easy one to learnt, but not to  play, its not the  notes, but to make them sound jazzy made it not that easy, the Lulu you play,  is so great, you have an  amazing  touch, thank you for all the ispiration you give, good luck with your music.

Start recording yourself! :) It teaches you to listen :) Normally when you play you are thinking one thing..then you listen the recording and "oooo i see" hahah :D
Thank you very much about the Oscar videos :) I never played jazz before Lulu`s back it town as well. I love Oscar..my favorite jazz pianist of all :) I am very happy you find my videos inspirational..gives me a reason and a purpose to continue uploading :)) Best wishes and i wait for your recording! :)

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 09:47:01 PM
Op.10 No.5 huh! Did you find 10-1 or 10-5 easier?

I can get through 10-5 it needs tidying but it's at tempo, 10-1 however looks WAY out of my league, I don't know if it honestly is or it just encompasses techniques I really have never worked on.

Offline lafo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 10:22:03 PM
Op.10 No.5 huh! Did you find 10-1 or 10-5 easier?

I can get through 10-5 it needs tidying but it's at tempo, 10-1 however looks WAY out of my league, I don't know if it honestly is or it just encompasses techniques I really have never worked on.

10-5 is easier for sure :) They are quite different yes.. keep working on it and you will get there :))

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 11:35:18 AM
10-5 is easier for sure :) They are quite different yes.. keep working on it and you will get there :))

Thought as much. Any practice tips for 10-1?

And when are we going to see 10-2? :D

Offline lafo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 10:39:04 AM
Thought as much. Any practice tips for 10-1?

And when are we going to see 10-2? :D

I played 10-2 in school :) I have to revisit it :D I started now Beethoven Appassionata and one Polonaise from Chopin. Also Rachmaninoff Daisy. i will try and play it somewhere in between :) A lot of pieces to play..and little time to do it :(

As for tips for 10-1. The way i practised it is mostly slow with repetisions on 4th and 5th finger. Also all the passages in right hand slowly staccato. Hope this will help :)

Offline xdjuicebox

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: November 04, 2016, 05:43:09 PM
This is very impressive! Your technique is a little...interesting though XD

My one comment would be to not sound so "hurried." You can play fast (oh man, you most certainly can), but I think you breeze through some of the lines a little too quickly without giving it enough "love," or at least emphasizing them. Like the little melodies he has where some notes need to be accented, I feel like they're just sort of passing through. You could do a lot with those. So I guess get a little more invested in the little lines that crop up here and there.

All in all, excellent playing.

P.S., I really want to see you play Rachmaninoff Etude in C minor, Op. 39 No. 1! If you learn it please let me know! :D
I am trying to become Franz Liszt. Trying. And failing.

Offline lafo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: November 05, 2016, 11:59:02 AM
This is very impressive! Your technique is a little...interesting though XD

My one comment would be to not sound so "hurried." You can play fast (oh man, you most certainly can), but I think you breeze through some of the lines a little too quickly without giving it enough "love," or at least emphasizing them. Like the little melodies he has where some notes need to be accented, I feel like they're just sort of passing through. You could do a lot with those. So I guess get a little more invested in the little lines that crop up here and there.

All in all, excellent playing.

P.S., I really want to see you play Rachmaninoff Etude in C minor, Op. 39 No. 1! If you learn it please let me know! :D

Thank you very much! :) I agree that the Op. 10 No. 1 can be better :) And i will work on that ofcourse :)
As for the Rachmaninoff.. I will learn it no problem :) When i have it i will post it here :) Thanks again!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert