Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Looking for a new piece ;]  (Read 2380 times)

Offline hisoka23

Looking for a new piece ;]
on: December 22, 2016, 11:07:23 AM
Hello eveybody! I'm looking for a new Piece to learn... I already learned:Chopin notturne op .9 no. 2 , Grande valse brillante op.18 , Khachaturian's toccata, some Clementi's sonatas and soon my teacher will give me the ritual fire dance by De Falla... I'm looking for a early advanced piece,better a romantic      one.Something very challenging and good for competitions... Thank you ! ;)

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Looking for a new piece ;]
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 11:54:59 AM
. These preludes are an anachronism of sorts. Think Latvian Rachmaninoff, or eastern european Bowen.  More romance than 20th cent

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 11:58:46 AM
. A
Bit past earlynadvanced butna fabulous 21st century piece and quite lyrical and nice melody at times. Just a thought as it can really liven things ip since its a spicey onen

Offline dogperson

Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 12:27:18 PM
. These preludes are an anachronism of sorts. Think Latvian Rachmaninoff, or eastern european Bowen.  More romance than 20th cent

hi Visitor
I should have learned by now to never listen to the music you post---- as I always find something new I want to play  >:(   This prelude is one of them, and I can only find one very nasty score on the internet.  Do you know where this can be purchased?    Many thanks as always

dogperson

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 12:47:16 PM
hi Visitor
I should have learned by now to never listen to the music you post---- as I always find something new I want to play  >:(   This prelude is one of them, and I can only find one very nasty score on the internet.  Do you know where this can be purchased?    Many thanks as always

dogperson
so glad you liked it!!! Do find a chance soon to listen to all of them, there older recordings but also fantastic recent.ones on the complete.set.on toccata label. The piano.concerto should not be missed(!!), it was thought lost, son there are old recordings, but on recent rediscovery, there is a newer modern fine performance of it on youtube. I am ever on the hunt for that concerto score....

They (24 Dainas)  are out of print to best of my knowledge, i can share private with you. We will need to discuss further via pm. 8)

Offline hisoka23

Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 02:54:14 PM

I didn't know This beautiful preludes. I will sight-read them and maybe I will study my favourites.Thank you for your suggestion!

Offline dogperson

Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 05:33:57 PM
More of the preludes by Medins--  performed by one of my favorite current pianists, Vestard Shimkus
I am in love with these as well!

Offline chopinawesome

Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 09:03:38 PM
Why not Chopin's 1st impromptu? Shouldn't be that difficult.
Beethoven Op 2/2
Chopin Op 20, maybe op 47/38
Debussy Etude 7
Grieg Op 16
Want to do:
Chopin Concerti 1 and 2
Beethoven Waldstein
Ravel Miroirs

Offline polari2

Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 01:30:07 PM
How about J.S. Bach - Little fugue BWV 578  :) ?

Offline hisoka23

Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 11:04:59 PM
How about J.S. Bach - Little fugue BWV 578  :) ?

I like it but I would like to study a romantic and more challenging piece.

Offline dionister

Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 12:17:32 AM
I would recommend liszt's sonetto 104 di petrarca, a very nice piece and pretty hard in some sections.

Offline georgey

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 12:57:43 AM
How about learning one of the two op. 79 Rhapsodies by Brahms?

Offline princeken

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 04:29:35 AM
Funny you should mention "Fire Dance," as I've just done a fantasy on that and the de Falla "Malagueña" for one of my intermediate students, for her spring recital. It weaves between the two pieces, has lots of flash, and the two piano teachers I've just shown it to are raving over it, how fun it is, and one even said, "Never mind the student--*I* want to play this!" 
If you're interested, email me directly: Ken at PrinceSF dot com.
Happy New Year.
Ken Malucelli
KM
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert