Piano Forum

Topic: prepared piano  (Read 2240 times)

Offline krigger

• PS Silver Member
prepared piano
on: April 06, 2003, 03:56:39 AM
I am listening to alot of cage recently, some of which were works for prepared piano. I know that objects such as erasers, wooden screws and such make for interesting sounds, but do any of you out there have any other suggestions for recreating the prepared piano as cage would have wanted it? thank you.

Offline c18cont

• PS Silver Member
Re: prepared piano
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 02:23:07 PM
Friends,

This may go NOWHERE, but as I encountered this thread, and have been mentioning strange happenings with pianos of late...(like termites....), I felt it may do to mention the use of the prepared piano, or better, the Piano as a NEW INSTRUMENT...Some may be aware of other modern users including in popular music....

I did yesterday mention Ruined pianos, and suggest you listen to a few things for example, at Amazon...The person performing on accordion and ruined piano is one of the founding members of WARPS (World Association for Ruined Piano Studies...), Ross Bolleter, and his piano use on many different, often totally ruined pianos is GREAT!...In addition his use of the accordion in new ways is also world recognized...Note that this is "ruined" pianos, not prepared pianos...His "Crow Country" is a widely acclaimed album....

Another founder was Stephen Scott, Composition Professor at Colorado College...A forward looking and thoroughly modern University. His Development of an ensemble for performance on "Bowed Piano", a development dating from the early 1990's, is a great new sound, internationally acclaimed....(I have visited the campus for a major seminar, and have a niece attending there...It is much more than a good school...)

To see the method for this ensemple, and to hear a sample..(You will scroll down and click on "Sun Catcher..."), go to:

https://www.coloradocollege.edu/dept/MU/bowedpiano.html

Regards,   John

Offline c18cont

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 02:41:55 PM
A forgotten intent...,

I was going to mention and remind of the Prepared Piano work done by Tori Amos, often mentioned in forums..

Also may I suggest perhaps comments on John Cage as well, which was the ORIGINAL intent of the author of this thread, as CAGE comes up in passing conversation on this forum with some regularity....and I don't wish to be viewed as a hijacker.... :)

Regards,  John Cont

Offline Brian Lawson, RPT

• PS Silver Member

Offline c18cont

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 09:32:08 PM
Many thanks, Brian,

Those that have not yet looked at the performers at Colorado College as a performing ensemble (Bowed Piano...), may want to do so as well...

Again,...:https://www.coloradocollege.edu/dept/MU/bowedpiano.html

John

Offline c18cont

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 09:38:24 PM

Offline jeremyjchilds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 07:39:35 PM
My favorite prepared piano is when you take a hammer to the soundboard, strings, and action components....

There was a spinet I tuned the other day....would have liked to have "prepared" it.
"He who answers without listening...that is his folly and his shame"    (A very wise person)

Offline c18cont

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 11:02:08 PM
Hi Jeremy,

I can go with that....I have suffered through my share of "spinets" in my time....Even the "great" one's as you know, fall short of doing what the people buy them to do....

In my case I am thinking mostly, (but not only...), of churches and clubs that try to economise on their purchase...and a little additional piano when they were buying would have served them so much better...But I know you have seen it as well...

Regards,   John
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert