Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: LTCL Piece Choices  (Read 2766 times)

Offline canoluk2003

• PS Silver Member
LTCL Piece Choices
on: February 12, 2017, 01:46:49 PM
Hi All!

Lately I have decided to take on the LTCL exam.
But I have no idea what pieces to include in examination repertoire given that I have been self-learning for the past few years.
I hope to get some suggestions on how to choose the right pieces.
And even better, some suggestions on what I can pick for the exam.

Background of myself

- I took the ATCL exam and passed with distinction 7 years ago

- I am uncertain what skill level I am currently at now, but I have been practicing regularly since my last exam. The pieces that I have completed at a superficial level (without focusing too much on interpretation) in these past few years include:

Chopin:
--Sonata No.3
--Allegro de Concert
--Etudes (Op.10 No.1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 12; Op.25 No.4, 5, 9, 11, 12).

Others:
--Balakirev's Islamey
--Prokofiev's Sonata (1st mvt of No.7 and No.1)

- Currently I am working on Chopin's Sonata No.1 (Is this a good LTCL piece? I like it very much.)

- Judging from what I have played previous, I seem to be a person that enjoys playing pieces with a lot of technical stuff. I seem to like the challenges? Though it seems to be a bad idea to include too many of such pieces in an examination, given the risks.

Thank you!