Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Schubert's improptus op. 142  (Read 2342 times)

Offline hisoka23

Schubert's improptus op. 142
on: March 08, 2017, 08:14:13 PM
Guys  what do you think about Schubert improptus op 142 and what is tour favourite one? Mine is no 1😍😍.

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Re: Schubert's improptus op. 142
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 10:38:29 AM
Order of preference
No.3
No.2
No.1
No.4

But personally I prefer his other set of Impromptus. Some of these almost have a Sonata-feel about them, not sure why, but I've never been keen on many Sonatas. I almost completely skip the classical period of music when it comes to preference.
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline robatsch

Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 09:01:05 PM
For me also, the first impromptu in F Minor is the highlight of Opus 142.  The central section is unique in piano writing, and particularly beautiful.  This section describes one person whispering his thoughts to another, and the other answering also in whisper, as Schubert alternates between the high and low registers of the piano. 

I must admit that am not so fond of Impromptu #3 in B-Flat.  Although the variations are  interesting, I find the theme itself rather mundane, and in the "salon" style.  Schubert's writing here does not sound (to my ears) as emotionally honest as many of his other piano works. 

Offline beethovenfan01

Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 10:47:43 PM
No. 4, No. 2, No. 1, No. 3. But of course they are all beautiful! I also love Op. 90.
Practicing:
Bach Chromatic Fantasie and Fugue
Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 1
Shostakovich Preludes Op. 34
Scriabin Etude Op. 2 No. 1
Liszt Fantasie and Fugue on BACH

Offline freebagels

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 09:36:31 PM
My favorite one is also the first, for the same reason as robatsch - the middle section is one of the most gorgeous moments in any of Schubert's piano music, in my opinion.

If I had to order them, I'd go with 1,3,2,4.  For a long time I've thought Opus 90 was better, but at this point I'm so sick of the earlier four Impromptus that my mind might have become changed.
In between music degrees...waiting to see what the future brings!

Offline orangesodaking

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 05:04:43 PM
My favorite is also No. 1, but the whole set is incredible. The Op. 90 set is also great, but I slightly prefer 142.

But yes... Lee Luvisi has a performance on YouTube of the 142 set, and it's my favorite recording of these works. The 142/1 is so sublime!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert