Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: 25 no. 5 - scherzando left hand. (Rolled 10ths)  (Read 3596 times)

Offline reiyza

• PS Silver Member
25 no. 5 - scherzando left hand. (Rolled 10ths)
on: March 10, 2017, 03:44:54 PM
Anybody here with small hands that managed to get this passage up to tempo.? Can you share with me your strategies. Thanks
Yup.. still a beginner. Up til now..

When will a teacher accept me? :/

Offline tmjorden

Re: 25 no. 5 - scherzando left hand. (Rolled 10ths)
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 06:07:36 PM
I'm the worst person to respond because I have kinda big hands and am not playing this etude. My tip is that in the left hand take the bottom two notes. Take them and squeeze the keys together it's called modeling. Then when you squeeze it for like 10 seconds do the middle note and the next note (it's three note rolls so the top note is the one).  It might sound crazy but it worked for me and it's a really good strategy you can use with some runs.
Repertoire:
Rachmaninoff Concerto 2
Haydn Sonata 50
Prokofiev Toccata and Suggestion Diabolique
Liszt La Campanella, Hungarian Rhapsody 6, and Concerto No. 1
And other stuff...

Offline reiyza

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 12:47:16 PM
Thanks for the response. Sorry for the long time it took to respond to this. Tried your advice, Didn't work apparrently, squeezing the notes together only creates more tension. Maybe "modeling" would be helpful in first learning the notes., but for gaining speed, I discovered that the more relaxed you are, you are more able to move freely.

I'm now practicing the passage eyes closed with relaxed movements. Still not 100% accurate but around 60-70% chance of execution. But I'm on my way there. Thanks
Yup.. still a beginner. Up til now..

When will a teacher accept me? :/

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 03:03:20 PM
Rotating your wrist and arm a bit to the left and then letting it fall using gravity not your strength should lead to relaxed rolled chords. There's a bit more subtlety then what I'm implying, but I honestly don't remember the exact details of what my teacher said. Also make sure to have your elbows pointed outwards.

When you're practicing try and exaggerate the movements so you can get an intuition of how it's supposed to feel.

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert