Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: [Video] Bach, French Suite No.2 in C minor  (Read 1801 times)

Offline abielikesu

• PS Silver Member
[Video] Bach, French Suite No.2 in C minor
on: March 14, 2017, 10:22:37 AM
Hi,

Ashley has been learning this French Suite. Still a work in progress and we're posting here to get feedback to improve it.

It's been quite interesting trying to get to the essence and the character of the different "dances", not to mention bringing out the polyphony.

Allemande:

Or the playlist:

Constructive comments/criticism very much welcomed.

Thanks,
Abie
The joy of music making!

Offline stevensk

Re: [Video] Bach, French Suite No.2 in C minor
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 07:02:14 PM

Nice!  ;)

Offline themeandvariation

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 08:14:15 PM
"Still a work in progress and we're posting here to get feedback to improve it."

"We're" ?
Do you play the piano, Abie?   Are you Ashley's teacher?

If not, does Ashley Have a teacher?  If so, that would be the best place to get feedback - especially as the feedback here May be at odds with the teacher's intentions… which Wouldn't be good… One piano teacher at a time!

My take: The RH needs more phrasing; it is too smothering, needs air.  But, being that there is no phrasing indicated in the score, it takes a Teacher to properly indicate - based on a deep compositional understanding.. Some will say that a consistent  legato (mostly) is fine for this piece, but i would disagree.  
I'll never quite understand a parent posting 'for' their child - … (ego, i guess --
4'33"

Offline abielikesu

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 11:37:12 AM
Thanks for your comments stevensk and themeandvariation.

@themeandvariation, thanks for the comments about phrasing.

I do not play the piano but the guitar. To make a long story short, Ashley has recently changed teachers and he's not working on this pieces with the new teacher. He's going to play the french suite for a Masterclass' audition, and wanted to get some feedback to keep improving it.

"I'll never quite understand a parent posting 'for' their child - … (ego, i guess -"

Interesting thoughts.
Have you considered that underage kids may not be allowed access to social media or public forums? Or is it the idea of parent's boasting about their kids that bothers you?

In the past we have received good feedback from public forums (isn't that one on the main aims of forums like this?). That's why we post videos from time to time, despite the fact we know some people may think we're boasting or just looking for youtube likes. I have to say that this very idea puts some people (me at least) off from participating more actively on the forum.

Regards,
Abie
The joy of music making!

Offline themeandvariation

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 02:10:41 PM
"Or is it the idea of parent's boasting about their kids that bothers you?"

I didn't know that you we're intending to boast with this post.. (no reason to think so).  but if you're not fishing, (and because you don't play the piano yourself), how would you know if the criticism was constructive? (and the only thing left would be flattery or the opposite, of course..)
I've offered my thoughts on Ashley's interpretation, but as i implied, there is much more to unravel there than can be explained in this online context - as would most 'meaningful' feedback here.  And it is even further removed,  being translated thru you - one who doesn't play, but is a surrogate for their child's query.

Why not have his current teacher offer their thoughts on the suite? By scheduling a lesson with just that in mind, it seems feedback could be much more affecting in such a context.
Goodluck.

4'33"
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert