Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Suggest a piece for my Competition Repertoire  (Read 2770 times)

Offline kornv9022

• PS Silver Member
Suggest a piece for my Competition Repertoire
on: March 24, 2017, 01:08:34 AM
Hello,
In about two years I will participating in the Canadian Music.

There are a few requirements for the competition, but for one I am.stuck.on choosing pieces. Here it is:
Two sonatas by Scarlatti or Soler, or a complete work or a minimum of two contrasting movements of a work by J.S. Bach or Handel (for a suite or a partita, a minimum of three contrasting movements is required).

I am not too into the baroque style music, but in terms of musicality I am looking for some more expressive beautiful pieces. Any suggestions would be greatly accepted. You can suggest Scarlatti or Soler Sonatas or Haydn or Bach Partitas or suites.

Offline afarmboysforte

Re: Suggest a piece for my Competition Repertoire
Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 03:20:09 PM
I'm not really into baroque style music too, so I might be able to be of some help to you. I happen to be one of the rare few who actually prefer scarlatti to Bach, but there are so many to choose from. What I think would be a good idea would be to pick two contrasting sonatas, a fast and a slow one.
My absolute favorite slow scarlatti sonata would have to be this one, the L33:

Heart-breaking, serene, transcendent, everything baroque music usually isn't. And, well within your skill level.

As for a fast sonata, there are so many good ones. If you're up for a challenge, check out the k 427.

These two sonatas would work really well together. They were going to be in my program, but I took the liszt instead...
Let me know what you think.
~The Farmboy

Offline dogperson

Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 03:41:21 PM
I'm not really into baroque style music too, so I might be able to be of some help to you. I happen to be one of the rare few who actually prefer scarlatti to Bach, but there are so many to choose from. What I think would be a good idea would be to pick two contrasting sonatas, a fast and a slow one.
My absolute favorite slow scarlatti sonata would have to be this one, the L33:

Heart-breaking, serene, transcendent, everything baroque music usually isn't. And, well within your skill level.

As for a fast sonata, there are so many good ones. If you're up for a challenge, check out the k 427.

These two sonatas would work really well together. They were going to be in my program, but I took the liszt instead...
Let me know what you think.
~The Farmboy

OMG-  I love the Scarlatti L33 !    Thanks

Offline kornv9022

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 03:59:24 PM
I like the idea of two contrasting sonatas. I had a listen to them and I think these are very good choices. I like L33 especially. In terms of the two Sonatas I put by Beethoven which do you think is best? I am leaning towards movement 1, but both are beautiful.

Offline afarmboysforte

Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 04:58:10 PM
I like the idea of two contrasting sonatas. I had a listen to them and I think these are very good choices. I like L33 especially. In terms of the two Sonatas I put by Beethoven which do you think is best? I am leaning towards movement 1, but both are beautiful.

I know, the L33 is one of the most beautiful baroque pieces I have ever heard. As for the Beethoven, are you absolutely sure you would want to do the pathetique? Have you already learned it? It's just that, it is an uber popular piece, and imo, not the best choice for a classical sonata. It's a fine piece, just overplayed and I think that there are better choices that will make you stand out among competitors. Some I enjoy out of beethoven's:
Op. 7 (a bit more difficult than the op 13)
Op. 10 no 3
Any of the Op 31

If you want to do the pathetique, go for it. I just wanted to mention that there are some more choices out there. (And I would do the first movement. The 2nd is REALLY overplayed, and the first is better.)

Let me know if you want me to elaborate on the pieces I listed.
~The Farmboy

Offline kornv9022

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 07:08:11 PM
I gave a listen to a lot of Sonatas. But I think still the first movement of the pathetique Sonata is the most moving. Though first few bars especially get me. I would have the most passion to learn it and put my heart into it. To answer your question I have dabbled in the second movement of the pathetique at the time when I was not as serious about practicing. This was a while after I quit lessons and was experimenting on my own. To this day I have sight read it, but not seriously learned it. Sightreading it though was pretty simple for me and so often I would just play through it. If I were to learn it or play it somewhere I would be nitpicky and sit down and learn it properly. I prefer the first movement, though this movement is very expressive as well. I had no idea that the second movement was overplayed. I had a feeling that it was the other way around. I have read a lot of tips about not picking overplayed pieces for competitions. But, ultimately as a pianist I want to be able to express my true emotions and at last play the pieces I am most passionate about.  If I were a concert pianist I would have to have more variety of pieces and not always play piece that I like. I am 19 years old. I will not be a worldclass pianist. I am playing more because of my own love for the piano and perhaps I want to show to myself what I can accomplish. The piano as I have mentioned for me I find is a way to express my emotions and I tend to move a lot when I play. Coming back to the Sonatas. I will look into more Sonatas. The second movement of Sonata no.2 is also an option for me, but it still does not reach out to me as much. The etude I chose is by a not so well known composer, so perhaps there will be a balance. What do you think? Some people may choose this piece because it is so well known. They may not.neccesarily put their whole heart into it. Even the most well-known pieces can sound like something unheard of depending on the expression.

Offline afarmboysforte

Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 07:32:20 PM
I completely understand where you are coming from. I have felt the same way many times. There is nothing wrong with picking this piece. I was just expressing my opinion about the piece. I think that you should definitely go with your gut on this. If the pathetique is what you feel is best, then go for it!!! BTW, I listened to the lyapunov etude, and it's a really nice piece! Your program is very balanced, and I think that it would be great for competition. But I would definitely say that the 1st movement would be better suited in the program and a competition.

Offline kornv9022

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 08:00:22 PM
I wasn't judging. Thanks for all the motivation. I definitely am going for my gut feeling. I only first heard the lyapunov etude three days ago. I fell in love with the bass notes instantly.

Offline kornv9022

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 10:14:23 PM
Would Liszt's Sonetta 104 be suitable for the last requirement?

Offline mikebat321

Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 10:20:31 PM

Try anything from my site..! Challenging pieces plus easy pieces.

https://mikebat321.wixsite.com/michaelbates

Mike

Offline dogperson

Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 01:00:11 AM
Try anything from my site..! Challenging pieces plus easy pieces.

https://mikebat321.wixsite.com/michaelbates

Mike

Do you realize that 6/7 posts you have made on this forum are for promotion of your website?  It would be nice if you would actually participate in the forum discussions.

Offline orangesodaking

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 05:01:53 PM
For something different, Bach's Capriccio on the Departure of his Most Beloved Brother, BWV 992?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert