Piano Forum logo
November 15, 2018, 06:28:46 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Maurizio Pollini’s Chopin Etudes Astonish 50 Years Later

Why did we have had to wait over fifty years for this unique recording? Maurizio Pollini withheld his permission for his first complete recording of the Chopin Etudes Opp. 10 & 25 to be released. While the legendary DG recording from the 1970s has long been acknowledged as one of the finest versions of the Chopin Etudes, the previously unissued version from Abbey Road Studios in 1960 - characterised by a lighter touch and greater musical freedom – is now available on Testament label. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rachmaninoff -- Op. 23 Fingering?  (Read 1097 times)
davesx196x
PS Silver Member

« on: April 04, 2017, 12:22:37 PM »

Does anyone know where to obtain the fingerings for Rachmaninoff's Op. 23 -- in particular, No. 4 D major?  I was going to purchase the edition on Piano Street, but I don't see any suggested fingering.  I purchased an Alfred Masterworks edition (Selected Works for the Piano, edited by Murray Baylor), but the arrangement is somewhat different to what is published elsewhere.  THANK YOU for any help you can offer.
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
leo_t7
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 07:25:02 PM »

Hi,

Henle Verlag has an edition with all of Rachmaninoff's 24 Preludes which would include op. 23, as well as op. 3/2 and op. 32. It does have fingering, but I'm not sure if it has fingering to the extent you are looking for. Fortunately, they have a "Look Inside" feature for this particular score so you can check to see if it has close to what you are seeking. Some other forum members who are more seasoned in Rachmaninoff's music might also be able to help you find a really good editor specific to Rachmaninoff, but Henle is well-researched and is very high quality in general.

http://henleusa.com/us/detail/index.html?Title=24+Préludes_1200

Leo

Working on:
Mozart - Piano Sonata no. 8 in A Minor, K310
Chopin - Etude in C Minor, op. 10 no. 12
Grieg - Piano Concerto in A Minor
davesx196x
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 12:53:05 PM »

Thanks a lot, Leo -- I didn't realize Henle has published the sheet music to the prelude ... I'll order it today.  Between the Alfred edition and Henle, I should be able to figure things out.  Thanks again.  Dave
louispodesta
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 10:59:44 PM »

Does anyone know where to obtain the fingerings for Rachmaninoff's Op. 23 -- in particular, No. 4 D major?  I was going to purchase the edition on Piano Street, but I don't see any suggested fingering.  I purchased an Alfred Masterworks edition (Selected Works for the Piano, edited by Murray Baylor), but the arrangement is somewhat different to what is published elsewhere.  THANK YOU for any help you can offer.
Yes, I do, and it has taken me over the period of eight years, utilizing the advice of Dr. Thomas Mark, and my own editing, to get to this point.  If you are interested, please contact me by PM.

This is a great piece, and I will even furnish you the best (in my opinion) a recording of this wonderful work.

However, as a devotee of "Original Performance Practice," I play this piece in the style originally performed by the composer.  You may reference my video, with all of its detailed comments for further study.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VPgg3armCI

My compliments for your choice of this great work.
lostinidlewonder
PS Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 02:15:17 AM »

Yes, I do, and it has taken me over the period of eight years, utilizing the advice of Dr. Thomas Mark, and my own editing, to get to this point.
lol x fifty billion.

"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.facebook.com/groups/348933611793249/
michael_langlois
PS Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 12:30:01 PM »

That Alfred edition's not so bad as a reference and source of redistribution ideas, though . . . frankly, I'd just buy the Dover reprint and adjust that as I like (and check the notes against the Alfred, of course) . . .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: