Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: What To Choose? (Ballade No. 1 vs Heroic Polonaise)  (Read 3603 times)

Offline patronus

• PS Silver Member
What To Choose? (Ballade No. 1 vs Heroic Polonaise)
on: April 19, 2017, 01:03:11 AM
    So I've recently finished Chopin's Ballades 2 & 3 and personally I think I really like them. Judging by my own eyes and ears I don't think I'm technically ready for 4 quite yet, and my piano instructor thinks so as well. He personally seems to want to edge me towards trying the first ballade, which I am also very fond of, but I've also wanted to try the Heroic Polonaise for quite a long time. Both seem like difficult pieces but not out-of-the world, both are drastically different in style, and now I'm stuck on choosing between these two.

In terms of abilities, aside from those Ballades I mentioned I've also done Chopin's Etudes 10-3 and 10-12, and I hope to tackle both 25-5 and 25-11 (two of my favorites) quite soon.

I really do like expressionistic pieces, and that's the reason why I enjoy playing Chopin so much. So from a technical standpoint and an expression one, which one is more fitting for me?

(By The Way: My piano instructor does not believe in piano competitions so that's not a problem at all for me)

C-Sharp! C-Sharp! "Frankenstein"

Nice On Rachmaninoff

Offline keymasher

Re: What To Choose? (Ballade No. 1 vs Heroic Polonaise)
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 08:47:53 PM
I'd suggest the Heroic Polonaise.  Your technique will likely be well served working through those descending E Major scales in octaves.  Also, from the pieces you mentioned, I can't think of anything that would have developed your wrist technique similarly, so it might be a good fit.

That, and I'm going to be a hater, I'm kind of sick of the first ballade, so I'm already prejudiced against it.  But of course, I'm just some hack in front of keyboard, so listen to your teacher, and best of luck on either one you choose!  They're both great pieces and either will be an excellent addition to your repertoire.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert