Piano Forum

Topic: Chuan C. Chang's Fundamentals of Piano Playing  (Read 9308 times)

Offline richardparkokay

• PS Silver Member
Chuan C. Chang's Fundamentals of Piano Playing
on: May 20, 2017, 09:00:55 PM
I'm reading Chuan C. Chang's Fundamentals of Piano Playing. It is a book of treasure. However, the author's language strikes me as particularly odd and I have difficulty understanding the book.

What are Parallel Sets? I think I've got the general idea down. Say if I practice a 2-3 trill with my right hand, do I go 2-3 fast, then lift my fingers fast and do 2-3 again and repeat? Or do I just do 2-3-2-3-2-3 like a real trill? I'm not sure. Just tell me what are parallel sets and how I could practice a 2-3 trill with my right hand. I know the author explains that example specifically but I just cannot understand the explanation clearly.

And what are quiet hands??? Chang calls it a "mode." I don't understand a single clue about quiet hands. All I know is quiet hands can function only at fast momentum songs or something.. Something about momenta. yikes..

I did not address parallel sets or quiet hands in the subject title because I am in progress of reading this book. Meaning, as I read the book, more questions will pop up and I'll put 'em here.

One last question, irrelevant - am I putting too many posts on the forum? Is there a limit? I'm sorry for all the questions.. I am of a very curious person.

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chuan C. Chang's Fundamentals of Piano Playing
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 11:27:29 PM
In all my years of study, playing, and teaching piano I don't think I've ever come across those terms (except for "mode" but not in the sense I think Chang is using it). I haven't read the book but I'm already a little suspicious. A good sign someone really knows what they are talking about is that the are able to explain things in a way that is easy to comprehend. I tried to look up Chaun C. Chang but the only thing I could find is references to his book. Again, that makes me a little suspicious. I could be wrong of course but I would take anything you read in that book with a grain of salt.

If you haven't already read it I would recommend Josef Hoffman's book https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/39211

Or this one by Tobias Matthay https://imslp.org/wiki/The_Visible_and_Invisible_in_Pianoforte_Technique_(Matthay,_Tobias)

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 01:03:16 AM
I tried to look up Chaun C. Chang but the only thing I could find is references to his book.
As I recall, Mr. Chang has two daughters who studied with a good teacher, he is a physicist who also learned piano, and he tried to write down the principle he understood from the experience in laymen's terms - and maybe a bit from the view of a physicist.  It's been a long time so I may be fuzzy on the details.

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 09:06:26 AM
I read some of this book, it does have mixed reviews, some loving it and some thinking it's just another theoretical analysis on the piano by somebody who isn't at the top of playing the piano.

(somebody that understands the piano as well as they claim should be able to play it as well as they explain?) anyway... if you want to take the most out of it, I'll explain what I believe you're referring too.

'quiet' anything in terms of using the body at the piano simply means to NOT use, or to keep still.

That is playing the piano with 'quiet hands', is moving the fingers only but not moving the hands.

If you have ever noticed your hands when even playing 5 notes cdefg, your hand should make a slight movement to perfectly position your hands in line with your fingers and arm (most noticeable with the little finger) and you may also notice a slight downwards/rotational movement for some of the fingers to assist with balance of sound.

EXERCISE
if you held down all 5 notes and then lifted and played just one finger at a time you will easily notice that all fingers on their own 'with quiet hands' have different power, however this magically disappears when you play notes with a free and moving hand. (the 4th finger is the most noticeable weak finger here)

The idea of quiet hands is to help improve the co-ordination and stamina of your fingers (notice I didn't say strength here). Playing piano is a mind game, not a physical one where the fingers are concerned.

This is why it is often noted that exercises require your full attention, you have to be mentally aiming to improve, not hoping you could just trill notes for an hour and magically get better while you're watching your favorite television program.

From what I remember, when reading about his explanation of parallel set exercises is that it's about number of repetitions so you would at a certain tempo first practice
23, 23, 23, 23 as a separate 23 motion every time then practice
32, 32, 32, 32 as a separate motion then practice
232, 232, 232, 232 then
323, 323, 323, 323 then
2323, 2323 e.t.c.

until what you've got is a long string of 23232323 that's comfortable and balanced.

with this exercise the idea of 'quiet hands' remains the same, after pressing 2, don't let your hand rotate your middle finger to press the note, keep your hand still while letting the fingers do the work.

Your initial goal is not speed, but balance and comfort ability, find the tempo at which you could trill say 30 times that is 23x30 without feeling tense, fatigued or unbalanced, then start upping the tempo. I do this with my 4/5 and sometimes 3/4 (with caution) as they are typically your weakest fingers

"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline mike_lang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 08:32:02 PM
I'm reading Chuan C. Chang's Fundamentals of Piano Playing. It is a book of treasure. However, the author's language strikes me as particularly odd and I have difficulty understanding the book.

What are Parallel Sets? I think I've got the general idea down. Say if I practice a 2-3 trill with my right hand, do I go 2-3 fast, then lift my fingers fast and do 2-3 again and repeat? Or do I just do 2-3-2-3-2-3 like a real trill? I'm not sure. Just tell me what are parallel sets and how I could practice a 2-3 trill with my right hand. I know the author explains that example specifically but I just cannot understand the explanation clearly.

And what are quiet hands??? Chang calls it a "mode." I don't understand a single clue about quiet hands. All I know is quiet hands can function only at fast momentum songs or something.. Something about momenta. yikes..

I did not address parallel sets or quiet hands in the subject title because I am in progress of reading this book. Meaning, as I read the book, more questions will pop up and I'll put 'em here.

One last question, irrelevant - am I putting too many posts on the forum? Is there a limit? I'm sorry for all the questions.. I am of a very curious person.

This is book that is very easy to misunderstand . . . mostly because the author isn't a pianist (as far as I know). I'd stay away from it and get a teacher. If you have a teacher and want some piano-related reading, look at the books by Gieseking, Sandor, Berman, Neil Stannard, etc. If you want something on practice, go to Graham Fitch's blog or get Gerald Klickstein's book "The Musician's Way." Chang's book is more dangerous that it is helpful, to be completely frank.

Offline richardparkokay

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 06:45:53 PM
I could be wrong of course but I would take anything you read in that book with a grain of salt.

If you haven't already read it I would recommend Josef Hoffman's book https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/39211

Or this one by Tobias Matthay https://imslp.org/wiki/The_Visible_and_Invisible_in_Pianoforte_Technique_(Matthay,_Tobias)
Will definitely try out those books. I have to finish Chang's first. I have a lot of books to finish and my mom is starting to wonder when I'm ever going to finish 'em - ha!

@adodd I have to thank you very much. You answered my questions and even cleared up questions I was about to ask!
I know what quiet hands are, and I am sure I have acquired them. After all, Chang describes it as a very distinct feeling, so I'll know for sure if I have quiet hands. ( it feels like I have great control over my fingers! )
Parallel sets, I understand them now. And now I know why they never worked. I always just did parallel sets at a FAST tempo. My teacher often scolds me for constantly rushing. For example when I get a new song I play it up to tempo almost and make a lot of mistakes. It's a bad habit on my youngster self and it also seems to seep into my practicing methods as well. Thank you for clarifying!
This is book that is very easy to misunderstand . . . mostly because the author isn't a pianist (as far as I know). I'd stay away from it and get a teacher. If you have a teacher and want some piano-related reading, look at the books by Gieseking, Sandor, Berman, Neil Stannard, etc. If you want something on practice, go to Graham Fitch's blog or get Gerald Klickstein's book "The Musician's Way." Chang's book is more dangerous that it is helpful, to be completely frank.
I have read Gerald's book, but I have not finished the 2nd and third sections as I find them unnecessary for me right now. I'll definitely try all those other suggestions. Yes, I have learned to take everything Chang says with a grain of salt, but it is better than nothing [ or as I hope! ]

This forum is really awesome. Thanks guys.

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 07:30:05 PM
As I recall, Mr. Chang has two daughters who studied with a good teacher, he is a physicist who also learned piano, and he tried to write down the principle he understood from the experience in laymen's terms - and maybe a bit from the view of a physicist.  It's been a long time so I may be fuzzy on the details.

Yes.  And his daughters's teacher was an Abby Whiteside fan, as am I.  So it might be worth reading her book while studying Chang's.  There are definitely some nuggets in his book, as well as enough hyperbole to put many people off.
Tim

Offline pianoworthy

Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 07:08:55 PM
Changs book is very non conventional, and just like anything non conventional, it garners a lot of criticism. In my experience the ideas in the book have been life changing and have directly improved not only my own playing, but my teaching methods. Using the insights in the book I have dramatically improved my students' playing. Most specifically the idea of working on smaller cells, memorization techniques (what Chang calls "Mental Play"), and cultivating the idea of "non intuitive" methods as supposed to "intuitive" methods.

I feel like the writing of the book is often criticized, but people don't seem to realize that it's a translated book, and as usual the case for translated texts, it will not read as completely natural as a native writer. The benefit of the writing however is that it makes exceptionally easy reading, and I find it quite enjoyable to read as a matter in fact. I quite enjoy the conversational style of writing the book presents.

I'd really only recommend the book for people who haven't already closed their mind to the correct practice and learning methods for piano. Those types of people are much more likely to right it off as nonsensical and useless without offering valid criticism as to why that is the case.

Offline clouseau

Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 02:27:07 AM
I read that book about 10 years ago and if it hasn't changed much since, I would recommend staying away from it. Though it presents some valid methods of practicing (which are already well known among teachers and pianists), some other parts of it are dubious, to say the least. There are much better books written on that subject.
"What the devil do you mean to sing to me, priest? You are out of tune." - Rameau

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 03:03:17 PM
Though it presents some valid methods of practicing (which are already well known among teachers and pianists), some other parts of it are dubious, to say the least.

Well known?  I'm not so sure.  Perhaps here on the forum, with the benefits of Bernhard's teaching.  But not in general.  Only the better teachers know this, and they are a small percentage.  Well, in the US anyway, perhaps not everywhere. 

There are much better books written on that subject.

Don't leave us hanging. 
Tim

Offline clouseau

Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 12:07:24 AM
Since you mention Bernhard, I think in a post he suggested a very good book by György Sándor, "On piano playing". But there are countless works on this subject.
My personal favorites which have guided me through my piano study, and are very thought-provoking rather than a dogmatic collection of dos and dont's, are Heinrich Neuhaus' "The art of piano playing" and Josef Dichler's "Der Weg zum künstlerischen Klavierspiel", though I am not sure the second is available in English.

Now if you need something very concrete to work with, I would suggest this e-book, written by an assistant professor of piano (that can't be wrong), available for free here:

https://brenthugh.com/piano/piano-practice.html

If you ask for my opinion, piano practicing really boils down to the practice methods provided in that ebook. Of course, again there are cases where you will be on your own, but most of the times  those methods (or combination of them) should be sufficient to solve the problem.

"What the devil do you mean to sing to me, priest? You are out of tune." - Rameau

Offline pianoworthy

Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 03:02:03 AM
Since you mention Bernhard, I think in a post he suggested a very good book by György Sándor, "On piano playing". But there are countless works on this subject.
My personal favorites which have guided me through my piano study, and are very thought-provoking rather than a dogmatic collection of dos and dont's, are Heinrich Neuhaus' "The art of piano playing" and Josef Dichler's "Der Weg zum künstlerischen Klavierspiel", though I am not sure the second is available in English.

Now if you need something very concrete to work with, I would suggest this e-book, written by an assistant professor of piano (that can't be wrong), available for free here:

https://brenthugh.com/piano/piano-practice.html

If you ask for my opinion, piano practicing really boils down to the practice methods provided in that ebook. Of course, again there are cases where you will be on your own, but most of the times  those methods (or combination of them) should be sufficient to solve the problem.

Very odd that you mention a book suggested by Bernhard, since that book as well as the website you linked all recommend the same types of things Chang discusses in his book. So I'm curious, which parts of Chang's book do you find dubious? If you are familiar with (and agree with) Bernhard's teachings, surely you would also recommend Changs book since they both say much of the same things, and respect each other quite a bit.

Offline clouseau

Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 04:08:10 AM
No. If you have really gone through the books and the site mentioned, you would see that there are significant differences between them, and Chang's book. Differences not only in matters of technique and practice methods but also in attitude towards music.
here just one example from the book:

"After about two years of piano lessons (or even sooner for some), you should be able to tackle this piece using the learning tricks of this book."

the author is referring to Fantaisie-Impromptu.
Now, if that doesn't sound wrong to you, there is no point in discussing further.

I believe anyone who goes critically through this book, will find a lot more problems with it. There is no need to prove my point by showing more examples.

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 04:11:34 AM
So I'm curious, which parts of Chang's book do you find dubious?

Well there is this line for a start;

"This is the best book ever written on how to practice at the piano! The revelation of this book is that there are highly efficient practice methods that can accelerate your learning rate, by up to 1,000 times"

Plus the fact that Chang isn't a pianist or piano teacher. This might not seem significant but it really is because there may be ideas in the book that Chang doesn't fully understand and because he lacks the experience of a successful pianist or teacher he likely won't even realise that he doesn't fully understand them.

I'm pretty sure the only reason this book has been so popular is because it is detailed, free, and boasts miracles like in the quote above.

Offline pianoworthy

Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 05:52:55 AM
I see these same silly criticisms over and over. As to why people don't think Chang is a pianist I will never understand. He clearly states that he is a pianist, has confirmed on this forum many times, and there is a chapter explaining his upbringing.

As far as I can tell, he's the only one that has compiled the methods expounded by Bernhard (and yes Bernhard and Chang both say they agree with each other [ex. https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=2913.msg25601#msg25601]) completely into a single book, and at the time of his writing of the book (1994 I believe) I would agree that his method was the best and only book clearly outlining these understandings and methods - which have on this forum at least been pretty well accepted as accurate.

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 01:07:13 PM
I see these same silly criticisms over and over. As to why people don't think Chang is a pianist I will never understand…

Allow me to revise my last comment then. Although there is plenty of useful advice in the book, things like the following quote; "The revelation of this book is that there are highly efficient practice methods that can accelerate your learning rate, by up to 1,000 times", immediately make me feel very wary. It's the kind of thing you might expect from an analytical research scientist (which Chang is), not from someone who has dedicated their lives to playing and teaching piano. That's the big difference here. The information in this book is second hand and filtered through the mind of someone who hasn't dedicated their lives to playing and teaching piano.

An analogy: Who would you say is more qualified to write a book on, say, open heart surgery; an experienced surgeon, or someone with a research degree who's daughters had open heart surgery - which the author was able to observe and talk with the surgeon about? For that matter, how about a surgeon who has performed hundreds or thousands of successful surgeries over a decades long career vs. a surgeon with just a couple years and a few of dozen surgeries under their belt?

I'm willing to admit that having not actually read the book in it's entirety it may in fact be a very fine resource, but what I have read made me feel vary wary (and often just bored - he's very long winded and there seems an over abundance of padding in his writing).

Offline xdjuicebox

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 12:27:14 AM
Fundamentals of Piano Playing is one of the first books I read on piano.

While I don't know so much about what he says about the physical aspect of playing the piano, it certainly helped a lot with my musical memory. I won't comment on anything else, but I'll say that if you don't have a teacher, it's a great way to speed up your memorizing process, and can steer you towards good mental habits.

The parts about physically playing the piano aren't so useful, in my opinion, due to the lack of diagrams.

tl;dr: dig what he says about the mental aspect, don't care much for what he says about the physical aspect
I am trying to become Franz Liszt. Trying. And failing.

Offline clouseau

Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 01:32:44 AM
Klavieronin makes a good point.
Also, the suggested book by Hoffmann is definitely worth reading.
Here a quote from his book, concerning our situation:

"About Reading Books on Music. And speaking of books on music, let me advise you to read them, but not to believe them unless they support every statement with an argument, and unless this argument succeeds in convincing you."

Offline pianoworthy

Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 10:32:04 PM
Klavieronin makes a good point.
Also, the suggested book by Hoffmann is definitely worth reading.
Here a quote from his book, concerning our situation:

"About Reading Books on Music. And speaking of books on music, let me advise you to read them, but not to believe them unless they support every statement with an argument, and unless this argument succeeds in convincing you."

Hmm I don't fully agree with that quote. I think the ideas should be tested on their own merit. There's plenty of books with bad advice, and plenty with good advice. I say read the book and test the ideas for yourself. If they don't work for you, then that's fine, try something else. Personally the ideas in Changs book have worked for me and my students, and his ideas are also supported by bernhard and the books he suggests. Not saying bernhard is also always correct, but he's well respected on this forum for a reason, and it's because his ideas work for the majority of people who try them.

I agree the writing in Chang's book could be better, but I also believe that's because it's been translated which leads to the slightly awkward writing style. In the end there seems to be two opinions on his book: Either people think it's great, or people think it's terrible. Either way I would say the ideas should be tested to see if they work for you - but at the end of the day noone is forcing you to.

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 11:41:03 PM
My attention has been caught by a reference a second time to Bernhard supporting this book.  I am familiar with Bernhard's ideas and know of his long background as a teacher.  could we have some references to that support, to know what that consists of and the context?  Thx.

Offline pianoworthy

Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 11:56:32 PM
My attention has been caught by a reference a second time to Bernhard supporting this book.  I am familiar with Bernhard's ideas and know of his long background as a teacher.  could we have some references to that support, to know what that consists of and the context?  Thx.
While slowly reading through his older comments, I have come across several posts where he's recommending Changs book, and a few posts from Chang also recommending bernhards posts. Here's a few I can reference off hand

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=2913.msg25601#msg25601
https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=2864.msg25252#msg25252

This I found rather insightful and echoes exactly what I said above:

"If you go through the forum, here are two opinions you will find [in regards to Changs ideas]:

Yes, they are very useful.
No, they are rubbish.

It does not matter what people say (and even if it did, who are you going to believe?). Chang has argued his own case. It is up to you to try out his ideas and decide for yourself."

Here's a post from Chang regarding bernhard:
https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=4750.msg45075#msg45075

They clearly respect each other quite a bit, and in my humble opinion both have given simply the best piano advice I have seen from any other source. I'd highly recommend reading through bernhards old posts. This blog has compiled a handy list of his posts organized by topic https://pianoselfteached.wordpress.com/2015/10/29/contents/

Offline bronnestam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: January 09, 2018, 11:35:12 PM
I just cannot deny that it was Chang's book that helped me to get back on track when I decided to pick up piano playing again. I was happy and delighted to see that piano education had evolved quite a lot since my old piano study days back in the 70's ... The ideas in the book seemed fresh and exciting, definitely worth a try ...

I highly appreciated that he provided his material for free. I also found out, after a while, that I did not agree with everything he wrote, but I have been able to pick some gold here and there. In other words, this book was a very good inspiration source which made an active piano player out of a once-upon-a-time-I-was-a-piano-player. I owe Mr. Chang my sincere gratitude for his gesture to put this book online, and I simply cannot care less about the opinion of others.

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: January 14, 2018, 07:31:27 PM
While slowly reading through his older comments, I have come across several posts where he's recommending Changs book, and a few posts from Chang also recommending bernhards posts. Here's a few I can reference off hand..........
I only saw this response to my question now.  Thank you very much for the detailed answer. :)

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 08:38:27 AM
"After about two years of piano lessons (or even sooner for some), you should be able to tackle this piece using the learning tricks of this book."

the author is referring to Fantaisie-Impromptu.
Now, if that doesn't sound wrong to you, there is no point in discussing further.

I don't really find the claim to be controversial at all. I am a person who has been playing for two years, and if I had regular access to a piano, I am pretty damn sure that I would be able to learn Fantaisie Impromptu. I only have a keyboard, but to see if I could do it, I tried to play the first few measures of the piece at the required tempo. It took me a long while to fully internalize the 4-3 polyrhythm, but I could do it! So, it is possible, in my entirely subjective experience. ;D

Here on Pianostreet, there is a person who had legitimately got the first minute or so of FI down in a month, starting from scratch. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions.

I acknowledge that I may be mistaken here, but I don't see why someone sufficiently intelligent and dedicated, if he/she goes about practice in a systematic manner, and really thinks through what they're doing at the piano, can positively not learn Fantaisie Impromptu in two years. If Chang had mentioned a harder piece, or a shorter time frame, I may have disagreed with him, but two years seems a challenging but attainable goal.

I personally think that what Chang writes about this piece is pretty reasonable (if you wish I could quote it), has worked for me for similar pieces, and is moreover what I believe most higher level students actually do at the piano!

It may be that this sort of learning only suits a particular kind of individual, but the sort of analytical approach to technique, and how to acquire it appears to be the norm at, say, universities. The rate of learning at a piano conservatoire, by all accounts, is extremely fast relative to, say, ABRSM grades. So, if someone applies similar efficient methods of learning at the piano, I believe they could advance much faster.

I also can't imagine how someone who simply can not learn FI in two years could advance to virtuosic pieces. I'm pretty sure that someone who can play Liszt Transcendental Etudes and Rachmaninoff concertos and whatnot later on in their life could have learned Fantaisie Impromptu in two years, if not much less, had they really wanted to, and applied similar strategies. It seems to me more of an issue of having the time and dedication, which is of course the hard part.

I don't really know what to make of this whole issue, though. One part of me says that anyone could learn piano far faster than they would have otherwise thought they could if they could just realize the appropriate way to get there, but the other part of me says that if they could, they probably would have already. If you ask on this forum whether anyone could, with sufficient effort, learn to play the piano to a high level, many people would answer probably yes. If that is really true, I don't see an issue with Chang's claims, nor do I find them unique in the literature. If not, then he is only making the mistake, as are all the other people who would have answered "yes" to the above question, of assuming that other people can approach the issue in the same way they would have. The issue is that some people do and some people don't -- you never really know whether someone can or can not do something in advance, and so you make some assumptions about how the person could learn. The fact that most people don't do something does not mean that most people can not. Once a person has seen something that has been done, it is only natural for the person to assume that, by applying similar techniques, a similar result is plausible.

Though I agree that his "1000x" stuff is mere hype, I think much of what he says is what professionals actually do at the piano, and the only reason for a large portion (not all!) to be controversial is due to wrong advice dogmatically passed down by certain incompetent teachers through the ages. I often find many of the conclusions he comes to to be "common sense", in the sense that they are so blindingly obvious once you read them, and you wonder why anyone would really have a problem with that. Many of the reviews on the internet attack points he did not even make, and use ad hominem attacks so often that it makes it hard for me to take them seriously.

Much of what he says seems to be common advice or common practice, consciously or unconsciously, among high level players of the piano, and I see very little that is actually controversial. Parallel sets, consolidation of memory due to slow practice and degradation due to playing too fast too soon, practicing sections hands separate in order to have more control over the individual aspects as well as to improve retention, having a "mental block" rather than being actually unable to play a piece, the fact that you can't really play legato arpeggios at a very high speed, getting rid of unnecessary hand motions aka quiet hands, consolidation of memory (both of hand motions and of the music itself) during sleep (post practice improvement), trying to audiate a piece in your head (mental play), etc. None of this seems particularly wrong to me.

The only things that I find that may be rather controversial are his claims about perfect pitch and flat finger positions. Some of his claims regarding neurobiology are flat out wrong. However, I would ask you to understand what he is actually saying before making up your mind.

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 02:30:52 PM

Here on Pianostreet, there is a person who had legitimately got the first minute or so of FI down in a month, starting from scratch. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions.

Can you get an electrical engineering degree from MIT for free, in one year?

It's been done.  The classes are all online.  The guy was a journalist who took this on for a project, and could devote 40 hours a week to study.  It cost him about $1000 USD in textbooks and he finished it in a year. 
Tim

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: January 18, 2018, 10:21:07 PM
Can you get an electrical engineering degree from MIT for free, in one year?

It's been done.  The classes are all online.  The guy was a journalist who took this on for a project, and could devote 40 hours a week to study.  It cost him about $1000 USD in textbooks and he finished it in a year. 

That is impressive but I'm not sure how confident I would feel hiring him as an engineer. No without a more experienced supervisor. Textbook learning is one thing. Real world experience is another.

Offline clouseau

Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 01:20:49 AM
hello ranjit,

In piano teaching there has been established a certain order in which repertoire is taught. It is not a coincidence that everyone who teaches the piano, starts from the very simple pieces and only gradually increases difficulty. A correct assignment from a pedagogical point of view, is a piece which is slightly above the level of the student.

While Fantasie Impromptu is not as hard as Liszt's Etudes, it is not a beginner piece (technically and musically) and somebody who plays the piano for two years, frankly, is still a beginner (unless we are talking about exceptional cases)

If Chang's book therefore was called "fundamentals of piano practice for exceptional talents" then I might agree with the statement.

Because his book addresses everyone, the talented as well as the untalented and all what is in between, a problem arises. Most people are not ready to deal with the challenges of this piece and will be discouraged (or might even injure themselves). As they will not experience the joy of playing a piece perfectly and moving on to the next challenge, they might abandon piano playing all together as a result, thinking they can't do it.

So definitely the wrong approach.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert