Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: my own J.Strauss Weiner Blutt Waltz Metamorphosis (homage to Godowsky)  (Read 1298 times)

Offline furiouzpianist

• PS Silver Member
I have just finished writing this, have been composing this on and off since last summer.

I haven't even learnt it properly yet, this is something like what it should sound, at least all the notes are there.

Definitely not an easy piece and I will work on it in preparation for my October recitals - this will be the encore, or possibly the last piece on every program, printed.

don't judge the playing too much heh.

I basically stuck to the original layout of the Waltz, all the repeats with textural variations, contrapuntal combinations of themes, and developing of small motives derived from the themes - throughout. (I mean, it's an homage to Godowsky).

In case you don't know the Waltz: here is a recording of the original orchestral work. Note that I replaced the original introduction with my own.

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Well done! This is very entertaining. I'm absolutely all for a revival of the composer-pianist Strauss waltzathon. I've worked hard on the Godowsky's this past year.
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline philolog

• PS Silver Member
The spirit of Godowsky lives! Very well done. A charming reminiscence of Old Vienna amid a dazzling array of ornament and clever counterpoint. I'm sure it will improve considerably as it gels (not that it's not really enjoyable as is). Heartfelt congratulations.

Offline furiouzpianist

• PS Silver Member
Heh, I will definitely invest the time to learn it properly

The rest of the program is Schumann Kreisleriana, Brahms Paganini Book 2, Scriabin 12 Etudes op 8.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Heh, I will definitely invest the time to learn it properly

The rest of the program is Schumann Kreisleriana, Brahms Paganini Book 2, Scriabin 12 Etudes op 8.
Well done! It certainly captures the spirit of Godowsky in modo J Strauss II effectively.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Very entertaining. Lots of potential - it will be interesting to see how it evolves once you spend a bit more time with it.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert