Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin - Ballade No.4 in F Minor (AjLongsPiano)  (Read 1908 times)

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Chopin - Ballade No.4 in F Minor (AjLongsPiano)
on: June 16, 2017, 05:17:24 PM
I recorded a new version of this in a good hall awhile ago. I know several of you didn't like the acoustics of the last recording that much, so I hope this improves the quality. Also, this is probably the last recording of this that I will post in a long time since I'm working on new repertoire now.

Best,

AJ

Offline georgey

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin - Ballade No.4 in F Minor (AjLongsPiano)
Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 11:46:05 PM
The piano is nicely in tune and the acoustics are good to my ear.  Because of this, I am able to better compare this with the 7/15/16 recording you made.  I listened to this current version twice and the 7/15/16 version one more time.  Since the 7/15/16 version was not played on a real piano (please correct me if this is not true), it is not an ”apple to apple” comparison.  As a non-player, non-musician, my thoughts may not be worth a whole lot.  Here are my thoughts anyway:

I very much enjoyed this performance!  This is a tough piece.  You are doing great!! I hear improvements in sections of this new performance.  Overall though, the 7/15/16 version appears to have a more relaxed and controlled sound to my ear.  Is it possible that you are not fully comfortable with the action of a real piano or this particular piano? Thank you for sharing this performance!

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 12:17:35 AM
Hi georgey,

Thanks for your comments. That's interesting that you think the 7/15/16 version is more controlled and relaxed. I actually feel that opposite. That's just because I actually felt more relaxed and at ease playing in the second version. I could easily be wrong, though. Thanks for listening and commenting. I appreciate it!

Best,

AJ

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 02:48:19 AM
Very well phrased performance. You are measured and sophisticated in the consistency of emphasis in handling the compound meter, almost as if you’re rocking a baby to sleep. I like the sense of largeness that you achieve in the bass octaves as the texture gets more complex in its counterpoint. I could have used a little more voicing of the metric cross rhythm Chopin creates in the passage connecting the left hand scale section to the arpeggios. Also a little more on one particular middle voice in the coda which you are already bringing out. I love you’re coda which seems heart over bravura, emphasizing again the largeness of the statement, melancholy rather than angry.  This is artistry at its best, You ought to be really proud.
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline georgey

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 02:59:11 AM
Here is my review of the 7/15/16 version.  I just want all to understand how much I enjoyed the performance.

Understanding this is a WIP: Your phrasing, rubato, dynamics and balance of sound are all outstanding to my ear.  I agree that certain technically tough sections need to be cleaned up.  I greatly enjoyed listening to your performance!

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 02:50:29 PM
Thanks so much for the encouraging and informative feedback, everyone! :)

Best,

AJ

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 11:38:59 PM
Lots of positives. Good sound, nicely paced, poetic, good sense of question and answer within phrase construction. The only issues seem to be in the coda, which is a bit lacking in fluidity and (unlike the rest of the performance) it feels like you're not absolutely in technical control of events. Really good work all round however!
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 08:44:20 AM
Never will I believe another composer can inflict as many emotions in one piece as did Chopin. Been a while since I listened to this, you played very well.
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline justpianoplayer

Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 09:36:50 PM
Well done ! Enjoyed it
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert