Piano Forum logo
December 18, 2017, 04:41:00 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

The 14th Van Cliburn – Merging High Quality Performance with Hi-End Technology

The Van Cliburn International Piano Competition is an innovative force in the classical music field and is a recognized leader in bringing live performances to audiences extending far beyond the concert hall. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warmup improvisation - Die Fledermaus  (Read 252 times)
ronde_des_sylphes
PS Silver Member

« on: June 29, 2017, 11:38:01 AM »

There's been an unusual glut of improvisations here lately!

Anyway, this is me warming up before rehearsing some more formal material. An improvised, rather self-indulgent, paraphrase around Die Fledermaus. There's a fair amount of showy stuff already written around this thematic material and there are a few nods to it creeping in - a very obvious Strauss-Godowsky reference at the start and an allusion to Cziffra's paraphrase as well. I did get a bit carried away and slightly lost control during a couple of places, but it's all good old-fashioned frivolous fun..  Grin

The audio quality is not quite what it might be, sorry about that.

Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

furtwaengler
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 10:43:23 AM »

After studying a good bit of Godowsky it would be hard for me to say you’re being self indulgent here. Actually, with Cziffra I don’t even think Godowsky is a showing off, lol. But both these guys are not so clean cut as you. They dirty things up with their own harmonic language or gypsy pride. You have a clean harmonic pallet not unlike Thalberg and a lot of the transcribers (paraphrasists?) you put your time into. Great fun.

Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.
visitor
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 12:04:29 PM »

Lot of cool ideas here. Greatly enjoyed this, thanks for sharing! 👏🎹😊

ronde_des_sylphes
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 02:55:57 AM »

Thanks to both of you. Yes, Godowsky has a denser harmonic language and a more contrapuntal one at that. No-one has Cziffra's reflexes! I find his Strauss paraphrases to be some of the greatest fun in the whole pianistic firmament. The comment re Thalberg makes a lot of sense as the variation just before the end (where I lose the line a little because I'm spontaneously juggling so many notes!) really is pure undiluted Thalberg. Glad you enjoyed it - I certainly enjoyed myself improvising here!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: