Piano Forum logo
November 20, 2017, 08:53:47 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

New Bach Recordings – Four Preludes & Fugues from WTC

Piano Street’s series of recordings of Bach’s Well-Tempered Clavier with pianist Martin Sturfält continues with four pairs of Preludes and Fugues, two from the first book and two from the second book Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cadenza of Prokofiev 2  (Read 279 times)
furtwaengler
PS Silver Member

« on: June 30, 2017, 10:16:03 AM »

I have been looking through a collection of deteriorating tapes that are filled mostly with improvisation and compositional sketches, and was shocked and surprised to find a recording of the Prokofiev 2nd Piano Concerto cadenza completely intact. I simply had no idea this existed. Most of the tape is improvisation, and even this trails right back into improvisation. It was not like me to record any actual music in those days, but Prokofiev was a hero at the time and this concerto (as well as the 5th which I also found fragments of) often distracted me from my studies.

Here it is in all the energy of youth. I must have been 19 or 20.

* Prok 2 cadenza.mp3 (12046.99 KB - downloaded 66 times.)
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.
piulento
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 08:30:23 PM »

Playing this well when you're only 19...
This is my all time favorite concerto, and the cadenza is pretty much my favorite part of it; So much power and imagination in only a few minutes. I think you captured it pretty well - lots of fireworks and a hint of craziness. Reminds me of Petrov.
Hope you still play it from time to time Smiley
furtwaengler
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 02:46:00 AM »

Oh Petrov! What I'd do for his hands! Thanks for your comments.

Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.
emill
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 04:16:17 AM »

hi Dave,

Not really a big fan of Prokofiev, but really sad that during those times of the audio tape we have lost a good number of recordings  which we would have wanted to still hear during our later years.  So please forgive me for applying some "cleaning" to this Prokofiev piece you did in your teens.  The noise really spoiled it a lot.  Hope you find it as near as you played did it before.

emill

* Cadenza_Prokofiev2_fwngr.mp3 (9646.54 KB - downloaded 3 times.)

member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: