Piano Forum logo
November 22, 2017, 10:23:24 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

AST Updated: 700 Piano Pieces Added

The Piano Street Team has been hard at work: 1200 man hours of listening and hand picking the greatest among the many great performers playing the greatest piano music is tough work. But we have persisted. We have not complained. And here we are, now even more convinced of the amazing possibilities the Internet has to offer and – not least – with a new update of Piano Street’s unique AST. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mezzo staccato ?  (Read 270 times)
nastassja
PS Gold Member

« on: August 10, 2017, 12:59:20 AM »

Hi!

I am trying hard to play my Bach with a mezzo staccato touch, but I find it extremely difficult to do (and to have a consistent sound). Speeding up is also an issue.
Does anyone have recommendations/exercises for developing this specific articulation?
Thank you!
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
iansinclair
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 01:27:18 AM »

I'm sure if you ask six people you'll get seven answers... for me, however, I treat that as what I call detache, and the relative amount of time I hold the key (or pedal) vs. how much rest I put between notes is very much dependent on the overall tempo.  I was trained as an organist, however, not a pianist, and I really am thinking about organ practice.  Not quite sure how I'd handle it on a piano (I play Bach on the organ, never piano!)!

Ian
outin
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 05:10:56 AM »

I also prefer the term detached. I remember having trouble with it in the beginning partly because I was so used to playing legato and being very exact with note values. But now it seems natural to let go of the longer notes when playing baroque. For me it's more abot the feeling of letting go a bit early and taking more time with the moves between the notes. Staccato implies a different thing to me...

My summer projects: Scarlatti K87, K466, K109, Scriabin op74 preludes, Chopin Waltz 69-2 and Berceuse. And just exploring more music...
outin
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 05:12:02 AM »

My summer projects: Scarlatti K87, K466, K109, Scriabin op74 preludes, Chopin Waltz 69-2 and Berceuse. And just exploring more music...
c_minor
PS Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 05:23:53 AM »

Does mezzo staccato mean something like "less crisp"? I'm currently relearning the G-minor minuet from the Anna Magdalena notebook and my teacher advised rolling my hand forward before releasing the keys (instead of just lifting the hand vertically).

Not sure if this can work for fast passages though..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: