Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Should music be compulsory?  (Read 1117 times)

Offline wkmt

Should music be compulsory?
on: August 17, 2017, 02:47:49 PM
A new debate is open by our Senior piano Teacher, Vesela Nasheva.
What do you think?

We appreciate your thoughts and ideas!

Read the article here:

https://www.i-am-a-spammer.com/single-post/Should-music-be-compulsory

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Re: Should music be compulsory?
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 03:05:19 PM
I assume that while the article was written by someone in the UK, the study being cited happened in the US.  I only have a vague inkling about SAT's, what "middle school" might be, and no idea how to interpret the points.  "College", I've discovered, means "university". 

Putting that aside, I disagree both with the "conclusions", which are shallow and one-sided, and the tenor of the article.  Students who have had music lessons will also be more likely to be from richer families who can afford such lessons, as well as parents who may be more involved in their children's education.  Both of these factors - wealth and parental involvement - are factors helping achievement.  The same conclusions might be reached for pottery classes for all we know.

Meanwhile the purpose of music lessons should be music, not enhancing math or "SAT" scores.  I am also hearing negative feedback from teachers who work in institutions such as schools or stores that hire teachers, when this kind of advertising campaign is waged.  The parents register their children, not because they want their children to learn to play music, but so their children will do well in math.  These parents are less likely to be supportive at home in a way that is needed.  This proves to be frustrating both to the teacher and to the child.

How about a report that says GOOD lessons taught properly by a decent teacher helps students prove in .... say ... music.  ;)

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 03:12:08 PM
Should music be compulsory?  Only if it is properly taught.  When you get the geography teacher co-opted to teach music because "she once had piano lessons" this does not do much for music, and can do harm.  I ran into just this some years ago when I was in the beginning of my formal studies myself, and a 12 year old boy was having trouble with his basic theory homework - I was asked to help.  He quickly caught on.  I discovered that he had been handed a trombone as his instrument for the year, but the "music teacher" had no idea how it got played, especially for the slide valve.    I went on-line, found a trombonist in some orchestra, explained the situation to him, and this gentleman was kind enough to write a page of instructions to the boy with the trombone.  Note that the "music teacher" had not done as much.
When a student struggles with issues through poor instruction, or if a musical student is exposed to poor music, this can ruin any future interest in pursuing music.  In such a case - no, it should not be compulsory.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 03:40:14 PM
A certain amount of different arts should be compulsory in the earlier school years imo. Even if I myself hated drawing and anything related to it. For a balanced development a young person should be exposed not only to subjects like math, language and history but also arts and culture. Not everybody will have a change for that at home.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 03:44:04 PM
The best way to improve your math skills is by doing math, not music. Pretty much any activity that forces your brain to tick will have a net positive effect on your cognitive ability. I mean if your sole argument is "your math grades improve" then you might as well make playing video games a compulsory subject as well.

It should remain as an elective and children should be encouraged to take it of course. Along with robotics, programming, debate teams, and so on  : ^ )

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 11:13:42 PM
Yes.  It's an art.  Aural.  See if kids are interested in it or are at least aware that it exists later.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 06:19:31 AM
A certain amount of different arts should be compulsory in the earlier school years imo. Even if I myself hated drawing and anything related to it. For a balanced development a young person should be exposed not only to subjects like math, language and history but also arts and culture. Not everybody will have a change for that at home.

Yes, I agree with that. Many children are not lucky enough to come from homes where playing an instrument, or even listening to music, takes place regularly or is encouraged. Therefore exposure to it at school, even for just a couple of hours a week, is a good idea up until the early teens, when it can become optional.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline wkmt

Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 03:38:18 PM
Yes, I agree with that. Many children are not lucky enough to come from homes where playing an instrument, or even listening to music, takes place regularly or is encouraged. Therefore exposure to it at school, even for just a couple of hours a week, is a good idea up until the early teens, when it can become optional.

I agree 100%! Music needs to be introduced to children as maths needs to be introduced to students or literature. See that I use the word introduced, why? Because I truly believe that they should at least have the chance of coming across with music, going deep on it is a different thing...

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert