Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin - Barcarolle, op.60  (Read 2068 times)

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Chopin - Barcarolle, op.60
on: August 17, 2017, 10:05:09 PM
this is my favorite piano piece of all time, chopin's barcarolle, never get tired of playing it, though depending on the pianist i don't always want to hear it. for me the piece is almost like a paraphrase of an italian opera, the way the themes weave in and out, and the lyrical quality is definitely more italian opera than any specific "gondolier" genre. it has everything, lyrical melody, virtuosity, tells a story, lots of various piano touch. it's part ballade, part nocturne. my favorite

Offline themeandvariation

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin - Barcarolle, op.60
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 11:37:17 PM
What a pleasure! Beautiful!  Love your sense of rubato.. (just enough, in all the right places.) Also, wonderful dynamic control, with iridescent inner voices..
Thanks for posting.. It is full of vitality.
4'33"

Offline pianoville

Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 11:19:50 AM
Wow! Beautiful performance! There were a lot of great things you did with this piece. Your voicing is really good because you bring out those inner voices in a very good way. I also liked your choises of tempo and rubato for the most part. When the first theme returns with the octaves in the left hand I feel like from there and on to the big climax I think it sounded a bit straightforward. Anyways, you play with a lot of passion and emotion! Keep it up!
"Perfection itself is imperfection." - Vladimir Horowitz

Offline tnan123

Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 06:18:25 PM
I've just gotten around to seeing this performance and Bravo! What a pleasure it was to hear your performance of this amazingly beautiful piece. Very inspiring! You are definitely very talented and this performance really highlights that fact.

Also, it needs to be pointed out with this as well as other videos you've shared. I really appreciated the editing video and good sound quality as well!

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 05:37:44 AM
Hello! This is also my favorite piece and I also recently uploaded a performance.

I find it interesting that you don't think of it as a gondolier song but you rock back and forth like you are tossed by the waves :D

6:07+ section was beautiful! And double trills were en pointe.

Some interesting ideas in your interpretation! However I felt that many parts of it were rather rushed through. Perhaps the speed was increased due to the nerves of performing for so many people (and I commend you for that!) but there are so many beautiful sections of this piece that I feel the audience needs more time to take in.

Some places where I would suggest experimenting with drawing out:

2:34
3:00
4:30
6:56
7:10

Good work and congratulations on a fine performance!
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert