Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: fundemental of piano pratice  (Read 2312 times)

Offline bee1234

fundemental of piano pratice
on: September 10, 2017, 03:11:51 AM
Hello I am a self study piano student that i have just start fundamentals of piano practice, I am so sorry to say because its my first time to read this type of piano book not sure actually what is the book about, i m not sure have someone read this book can share and discuss with me what is it about thanks so much!!!!!!

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Re: fundemental of piano pratice
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 05:21:24 AM
I'm sure everyone will have their own opinion but I honestly think there are better books to read. I haven't read all of "Fundamentals of piano practice" but I've read enough to know there are more helpful books out there. For example Joseph Lhevinne's "Basic Principles in Pianoforte Playing" https://www.amazon.com/Basic-Principles-Pianoforte-Playing-Dover/dp/0486228207

Offline dogperson

Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 08:13:58 AM
 I agree about there being better books 

Are you looking for something about practicing the piano?
I would recommend Graham Fitch...he also has many  instructional videos on YouTube which are excellent
https://www.practisingthepiano.com

If you were looking for a book on piano technique,  look at the work of Neil stannard

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 04:18:15 PM
Most of my life I have been self study, and even whilst playing grade 8+ music and for the most part I had little knowledge of theory and never read any formal books on studying. What I might add though, is this is not the right way to learn by any means, I 100% advise any serious piano student to get a teacher.

HOWEVER

Honestly, from my own experience, you should simply consider either:

Getting a teacher all the way, from start until you're where you want to be (the method I 100% recommend if it's practical to do so)
OR
Don't look to any books at all that offer practical theories / help / methods UNTIL you have problems with your playing or you hit a brick wall. I do believe 9/10 times if you simply play comfortably, and actually listen to the sounds you are making, you will do fine.

Obviously for a complete beginner there may be some research you will need to do to understanding reading music, scales, dynamics and fingers but a bit of googling can tell you all that without reading an unnecessarily complex 'piano method'

Sidenote
DO learn music theory.
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline dogperson

Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 11:08:55 PM
Most of my life I have been self study, and even whilst playing grade 8+ music and for the most part I had little knowledge of theory and never read any formal books on studying. What I might add though, is this is not the right way to learn by any means, I 100% advise any serious piano student to get a teacher.

HOWEVER

Honestly, from my own experience, you should simply consider either:

Getting a teacher all the way, from start until you're where you want to be (the method I 100% recommend if it's practical to do so)
OR
Don't look to any books at all that offer practical theories / help / methods UNTIL you have problems with your playing or you hit a brick wall. I do believe 9/10 times if you simply play comfortably, and actually listen to the sounds you are making, you will do fine.

Obviously for a complete beginner there may be some research you will need to do to understanding reading music, scales, dynamics and fingers but a bit of googling can tell you all that without reading an unnecessarily complex 'piano method'

Sidenote
DO learn music theory.

Adodd
 Just a different perspective than yours:  I have never been self taught and I've had lesson From some excellent teachers, but I have learned a large  amount  about technique and practice habits from reading those types of books.  Whether you're taking from a teacher or self learning, your perspective is limited to what you know of  what you have been taught. Reading helps broaden your  horizons 

Offline bee1234

Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 04:59:19 AM
Hi i m so sorry to say due to my talent i have been taking piano lesson more than 10 year i have no music talent i have hard time count the rhythm , my teacher is nice enough try to buy the most expensive and best metronome to let me use in lesson usually most of the piano teacher have 2 piano at home 52 inch piano for beginner and baby grand piano only for perfrormance level only and for the baby grand is for her to arrange piano piece for her church but she is so nice to let me use it, be honest, even she is a condutor or a orchestra, i feel when i m able to learn from her, i feel i lost interest to learn piano from her,we end up with a horrible ending between teacher and student  actually what i m interest of the music level is concert pianist level skill i sure know when my talent and finger is not soft and fast enough what i m talking is offence, and because i know my knowledge is unable to learn , so my own choice is in this moment my music passion still cant stop me to study more music book about music, even i cant be a success musician i really dont want to be outdate i must keep update myself of whats the music is update i have some connection with the genius musician, i really hope someone can recommand some free online music book about piano that i can read thanks  hope someone can help
michelle

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member

Offline bernadette60614

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 10:39:41 PM
I just like that book. Not cause it is the best, but because it seems so sincere.  Here's someone who is not a pianist, but a parent, who wants to share what his children have learned.  It was the first book I ever read about piano practice, and it just gave me the impression that this was something I could do...because what he describes are fundamentals..nothin' fancy, just some clear basics.

There are better books, but while this may sound dopey, I'd say this remains in my mind the nicest.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert