Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Bartok - Sonata DD. 51 (1897-1898)  (Read 1394 times)

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Bartok - Sonata DD. 51 (1897-1898)
on: September 11, 2017, 10:03:35 AM
Greetings... I'm wondering if anyone has the sheet music or even a link in order to buy the beautiful, almost can't-believe-it's-Bartok-who-wrote-this Sonata in 1897-1898.

Anyone who's unaware of this beautiful sonata, this is a recording of it.

Seriously, BEAUTIFUL!!!

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bartok - Sonata DD. 51 (1897-1898)
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 01:17:21 PM
Seriously... even in a forum full of pianists and teachers - no one knows if the sheet music to this exists???

Offline pianoville

Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 09:31:03 PM
I had no idea Bartok had written two sonatas! It is a very beautiful piece. It is indeed very different
compared to other Bartok pieces, this sounds more like Scriabin (which I love). Sadly I don't know where to find the sheet music for it, I can't find it anywhere. Anyways, good luck on finding the sheet music for this beautiful piece!
"Perfection itself is imperfection." - Vladimir Horowitz

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 10:24:25 PM
I've been looking for it since yesterday and no luck. Perhaps try contacting the Liszt Academy/Royal Academy of music in Budapest where he studied for a few years? My guess is that it was probably never really published, so I suggest either contacting the pianist, his descendants, and/or piano/music societies dedicated to preserving his stuff. For some reason it is quite normal for these societies to refuse to publish these "lost" and unknown pieces.

A few unknown Chopin waltzes are currently waiting for me in some secret vault in Europe.

Offline huaidongxi

Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 01:17:39 AM
try contacting Editio Musica Budapest, whose Bartok scores have been edited by the composer's son Peter. their editions so far are excellent. they are working on a complete edition.

https://www.umpgclassical.com/en-GB/News/2015/10/Bartok-Complete-Edition.aspx

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 07:47:29 AM
Interesting... thanks for the info Huaidongxi.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert