Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Shostakovich  (Read 1924 times)

Offline immisk

• PS Silver Member
Shostakovich
on: September 21, 2017, 05:03:09 PM
I've been listening to a lot of Shosty recently, especially his Preludes and Fugues for the piano.

What's y'all's opinion of Shosty? Which pianist do you prefer?

I myself am keen on the latter recording of Tatiana Nikolayeva, but I'd like to broaden my horizons.
Liszt or Bust

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Shostakovich
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 05:15:28 PM
his music is exceedingly well written and there is so much more to him than the P and F, but they are a great place to start and a super important entry in the catalog of repertoire for first half of the 20th century.
My vote for pianist is Viardo. Hands down. My current teacher was a pupil of him for over 10 years and the insights she shares that she learned from him are profound on a level i hadn't experienced before.
Viardo's teacher (one of them) was a pupil of the old gaurd's giant. Heinrich Neuhaus , so Boris Petrushansky would be worth checking out though i haven't taken time to sit down and listen to alot of his recordings, but I would guess it's as safe a bet as any , but yeah check out Viardo, most of the time for various composers, his interpretations will be at the top of the best pile

1   0:00  C Major, Moderato
  2     0:57  A Minor, Allegretto
  3     1:45  G Major, Andante
  4     3:32  E Minor, Moderato
  5     5:21  D Major, Allegro vivace
  6     5:51  B Minor, Allegretto
  7     7:05  A Major, Andante
  8     7:53  F# Minor, Allegretto
  9     8:51  E Major, Presto
  10    9:30  C# Minor, Moderato non troppo
  11   11:11  B Major, Allegretto
  12  12:05  G# Minor, Allegro non troppo
  13  13:13  F# Major, Moderato
  14  14:12  E Flat Minor, Adagio
  15  16:34   D Flat Major, Allegretto
  16  17:26  B Flat Minor, Andantino
  17  18:47  A Flat Major, Largo
  18  20:21  F Minor, Allegretto
  19  21:11  E Flat Major, Andantino
  20  22:41  C Minor, Allegretto furioso
  21  23:22  E Major, Allegretto poco moderato
  22  24:08  G Minor, Adagio
  23  26:25  F Major, Moderato
  24  27:34  D Minor, Allegretto

Offline chopinawesome

Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 03:33:29 AM
Prelude No.15 is very good ;D
Beethoven Op 2/2
Chopin Op 20, maybe op 47/38
Debussy Etude 7
Grieg Op 16
Want to do:
Chopin Concerti 1 and 2
Beethoven Waldstein
Ravel Miroirs

Offline nw746

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 06:48:59 AM
Sviatoslav Richter for the Preludes & Fugues. He didn't ever record all 24, though to be fair they are uneven in quality anyway. Emil Gilels turns in a very good Sonata No. 2, Op. 61, my favourite Shostakovich piano piece. I haven't heard Tatyana Nikolayeva's recordings in a long time, but they are also pretty solid as I recall. Russian pianists who worked closely with the composer is generally what to look for. Or who are the composer:

That said, Vladimir Ashkenazy's Shostakovich is also surprisingly good, not a composer I would have ordinarily associated him with.

Offline tinyhands

Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 12:40:02 PM
I really like his Dances of the Dolls suite, short but fun pieces.
I'm also reading Julian Barnes The Noise of Time" which is a Novel  based on his life, quite enjoying it.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/jan/22/the-noise-of-time-by-julian-barnes-shostakovich-stalin-review

Offline immisk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 08:29:53 PM
Or who are the composer:

That said, Vladimir Ashkenazy's Shostakovich is also surprisingly good, not a composer I would have ordinarily associated him with.

This is the kind of thing I was looking for ^_^ I don't know how I missed Shosty himself playing them when I was looking up recordings.

He certainly plays them more quickly than I have been!

Thank you!
Liszt or Bust

Offline nw746

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 01:37:50 AM
Here's another good one—Shostakovich and his BFF, composer Moisei Weinberg, performing an arrangement of the Symphony No. 10 for piano four hands.

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert