Piano Forum logo
November 18, 2017, 11:31:42 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Cziffra Plays Liszt’s Gnomenreigen

Apart from his technical ease, the ”airy” cimbalom soundscape and pedal technique are very obvious in this rendition of Liszt´s Gnomenreigen. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick question about ritardando  (Read 166 times)
chapmanpiano
PS Silver Member

« on: October 03, 2017, 06:09:32 AM »

Hi all,

How long should a ritardando last?

Is it heavily context based? Up to interpretation? Fixed as a part of music theory?

I have a rit. at the end of a piece I am working on and I am not sure how long it should last.
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
thirtytwo2020
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 08:41:40 AM »

Yes, it is context based and up to interpretation, but in most cases, it lasts until there is an "a tempo" marking, where you should return to the original speed. If your ritardando is at the very end of your piece without any following a tempo, my guess is that it should last until the last note.
louispodesta
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 10:49:41 PM »

Yes, it is context based and up to interpretation, but in most cases, it lasts until there is an "a tempo" marking, where you should return to the original speed. If your ritardando is at the very end of your piece without any following a tempo, my guess is that it should last until the last note.

Perfect answer!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: