Piano Forum logo
November 23, 2017, 12:10:40 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Myra Hess – Piano to Combat Evil

During the war years and the blitz, Dame Myra Hess organized over one thousand concerts at the National Gallery. The Gallery had removed all the paintings, keeping just one on display each month, and thousands of people (many not regular concertgoers) came to listen, be inspired, and possibly garner a little hope from these wartime concerts. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moonlight Star - Jonny J Liu  (Read 118 times)
jonnyjohn
PS Silver Member

« on: October 04, 2017, 01:35:20 AM »

hey guys I wrote an original piece maybe you guys would be interested in hearing it.
It's called Moonlight Star. The key is in g# minor 12/8 time.

Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

ted
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 09:40:38 AM »

This is a concisely beautiful little piece, the more so for using simple harmony and clearly defined phrases. I assume it arose from improvisation and that you are still actively recording your improvisation ? I recall a couple of years ago we discussed, on another forum, the possibility of getting local improvisers together to share ideas. I am better positioned to consider this now as I have more time. Send me a private message if you think the idea is viable.

"It's a caution, grandson !"  -  My grandmother's reaction to almost any issue of the day.
jonnyjohn
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 08:45:45 PM »

damn you have a good memory. Unfortunately this year I will be quite busy as I am about to go overseas as well so I'll send you a msg when time comes back to me.

and thanks for the feedback. Since my last piece a few years ago my focus in composition has changed towards balance and simplicity.

Hmm I thought most composers work from improvisations? I don't record my improvisations unless I plan to make it into a composition.

ted
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 12:01:44 AM »

..I thought most composers work from improvisations? I don't record my improvisations unless I plan to make it into a composition.

The relationship between the two processes seems to vary a great deal. Some composers do not improvise at all and some improvisers do not compose. Even when the two exist in the one person, the relationship between them is highly individual and complex.

"It's a caution, grandson !"  -  My grandmother's reaction to almost any issue of the day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: