Piano Forum logo
November 21, 2017, 08:16:35 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Pianistic Legends from Buenos Aires Sharing Neurones

A recent article featured in Piano Street’s News Flash explains that four-hand piano duo partners share neurons dealing with spatial seizing while playing. That suggests that we give you readers a gem on the same topic. Watch the sample from Michael Beyer’s film production for EuroArts Music. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting A Piano Shop  (Read 162 times)
esoteric
PS Silver Member

« on: October 04, 2017, 08:52:38 AM »

Hi all,

I have plans to start a store buying and selling used (and sometimes new) pianos in the UK. I just wanted some advice from someone with some insight into this area, ideally someone who has done or is doing the same thing.

In particular, does anyone have any idea on how to source pianos directly from the manufacturer at a reduced price?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
indianajo
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 05:44:38 PM »

Go to the annual NAMM convention.  Talk to the factory representatives - they are in the mood, there.
Have your letter of credit handy. 
visitor
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 07:37:44 PM »

you likely would not be able to buy the volume needed to get the reduction you are probably looking for, usually distributors might, you may need to approach a distributor for a brand(s) and see if they can leverage their volume buying and still get you a good deal.

esoteric
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 10:35:08 PM »

Thanks a bunch for the advice guys. Anyone else?
klavieronin
PS Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 02:46:39 AM »

I don't have any advice about piano stores specifically but as someone who's family is in the retail industry all I can say is brace yourself. It is really, really, really difficult to run a successful retail store. I don't know where you are but I think in the US something like 80% of new businesses close in their first year. Make sure you do your research, not just about how to get pianos but costs of operation, delivery, business management software, legal and tax considerations, basically everything you will need to do and know to actually run the business. And good luck.
esoteric
PS Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 08:48:06 AM »

I don't have any advice about piano stores specifically but as someone who's family is in the retail industry all I can say is brace yourself. It is really, really, really difficult to run a successful retail store. I don't know where you are but I think in the US something like 80% of new businesses close in their first year. Make sure you do your research, not just about how to get pianos but costs of operation, delivery, business management software, legal and tax considerations, basically everything you will need to do and know to actually run the business. And good luck.

Thanks klavieronin, that's a useful bit of advice.
huaidongxi
PS Silver Member

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 05:41:52 AM »

esoteric, do you yourself possess rebuilding expertise, or experience and training in tuning, refining, and repairing pianos ?  it's difficult to conceive how you'd be able to compete in the used piano market if you did not.  have you had success with selling new pianos for other established dealers ?  sometimes that is how retailers get their start.  buona fortuna with your endeavours.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: