Piano Forum logo
November 21, 2017, 01:50:32 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Hollywood Greats Explore the Piano

Grammy-winning pianist Gloria Cheng invited some of the most prominent film composers of today to write new music for solo piano. Alexandre Desplat and John Williams were a few of the composers who took the bait and have now contributed to the contemporary piano repertoire. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Schubert A major sonata D 664  (Read 230 times)
jorley
PS Silver Member

« on: October 08, 2017, 10:00:57 AM »

So I chose to work on Schubert's D 664. I thought that might be an appropriate one and oh my it is Beautiful. Even more so the more you work on it. But an "easier" Schubert sonata? Hardly. The third movement has some passages that are among the most difficult I have ever worked on. And I have still played 3 Chopin etudes, Chopin's first ballade, some Beethoven sonatas etc. Has anyone here played this Lovely piece?
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
jockey
PS Gold Member

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 01:48:44 PM »

I have not tried this piece, but I have just listened to it and you are right, it is beautiful so I am inspired to try out the first movement. I was working on the G major sonata (18), second movement, but I am too easily distracted lately and I moved on to other, less challenging music.
However, I will return to it at some stage.
Thank you for your post.  Smiley
vmishka
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 09:36:17 PM »

Schubert is one of my favorite composers. I just uploaded a recording of this sonata. The channel also has a recording of a Mozart Piano Concerto. I intend to upload more Schubert in the future, as well as some Rachmaninoff, and other things.

This is my first post trying to link a Youtube video and I don't see the image in the preview. I have included the link to the video as a URL as well and that seems to work.

https://youtu.be/fEtIzsonFB8
tnan123
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 12:46:45 AM »

Very nice performance vmiska!

This is indeed a wonderful Schubert sonata! I felt the first movement was taken a bit slow, but you did well to carry the phrases and it still worked musically! The middle movement is so beautiful!

I really feel that it's a great piece for most to work on technique AND musicality. The third movement has a lot of scales are runs that are great! Working out the fingering on some of those passages is fun and rewarding.  It does help to have bigger hands for the first movement, but other than that it seems manageable for most and the melodies in that first movement are so joyful. A great introduction to Schubert's larger works!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: