Piano Forum logo
November 20, 2017, 02:03:39 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

The World Piano Bible

While working in a piano factory in Leipzig, East Germany, Jens Witter started cataloging pianos, inadvertently beginning what would eventually become his doctoral dissertation. The data archive grew and comprised 10 000 index cards and eventually became a massive Bible of Pianos containing some 40 000 names. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Waldstein Sonata vs Beethoven Concertos  (Read 116 times)
rovis77
PS Silver Member

« on: November 05, 2017, 01:55:01 PM »

Hi, I am learning the Waldstein Sonata since 3 weeks and Im just curious about how it compares to Beethoven Concertos in technical difficulty. Thanks!!!
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
preludetr
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 09:41:37 PM »

I've never played with an orchestra but I can only assume that the main difficulty of a concerto is the connection with the other musicians. I don't think Beethoven would put any technical problems in his concertos that are significantly harder/different than the ones in his sonatas. So forget about the technical difficulty and focus on the real problem of a concerto.  Either way, I don't see the point of learning a concerto unless you have an orchestra that wants to play it with you.
visitor
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 12:52:13 PM »

I've never played with an orchestra but I can only assume that the main difficulty of a concerto is the connection with the other musicians. I don't think Beethoven would put any technical problems in his concertos that are significantly harder/different than the ones in his sonatas. So forget about the technical difficulty and focus on the real problem of a concerto.  Either way, I don't see the point of learning a concerto unless you have an orchestra that wants to play it with you.
I've played w  conductor and ensemble as well as small group and as collaborative piano w soloist, yes,  the main and most important challenge and part of prep is after notes and basics down, is putting it together w conductor a d the bigger group
Concerto is more difficult,  orders of magnitude since the challenges are different and unique to it vs the solo sonata, two different animals being co.lares

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: