Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Facebook social media verification.  (Read 2748 times)

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Facebook social media verification.
on: November 07, 2017, 10:15:44 PM
For years this site has been plagued by fake handles. I've seen some website offer verification through social media. This would be a valuable feature to give everyone comfort that who they are talking to is a real person they could meet in real life, and hopefully get rid of the fake posts this website has been plagued with for years. I am friends with a few pianostreet members on facebook, and it's really nice to know they are REAL PEOPLE.

I think it would greatly improve this website and community. The troll wouldn't be able to exert the effort necessary to create enough fake facebook pages as to be convincing. I think it is worth doing.

Offline dogperson

Re: Facebook social media verification.
Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 10:40:18 PM
For years this site has been plagued by fake handles. I've seen some website offer verification through social media. This would be a valuable feature to give everyone comfort that who they are talking to is a real person they could meet in real life, and hopefully get rid of the fake posts this website has been plagued with for years. I am friends with a few pianostreet members on facebook, and it's really nice to know they are REAL PEOPLE.

I think it would greatly improve this website and community. The troll wouldn't be able to exert the effort necessary to create enough fake facebook pages as to be convincing. I think it is worth doing.

I do not have a Facebook account, and have no intention of getting one just to prove to you that I'm not a fake.  I value my anonymity.

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 10:43:53 PM
a. not everyone uses FB.
b. very easy to make fake FB account(s) anyway.
c. plenty of people don't use their real names on FB.
d. people may wish to post here anonymously, and that doesn't necessarily imply evil intent.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline beethovenfan01

Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 01:28:38 AM
Don't have facebook at the moment ... have instagram and twitter (which I never use). Really, though, why is everyone so annoyed with the trolls? If I read a far-fetched post, I just go, "huh," and move on. Besides, there have been times when something unlikely turned out to be real (ie, cimarro!).
Practicing:
Bach Chromatic Fantasie and Fugue
Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 1
Shostakovich Preludes Op. 34
Scriabin Etude Op. 2 No. 1
Liszt Fantasie and Fugue on BACH

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 01:33:02 AM
I'm annoyed with trolls because of how much of that sort of thing has gone on here and may still go on (perhaps). And I'm not referring to kate gilpin's post. That just got me thinking about this site's history.

I've seen forums where this sort of abuse is very rare. Those forums are a JOY to be a part of. When I come here, I often spot things that just make me groan. I would like to get rid of such people if possible.

Social media verification is becoming more common and I do think it would improve this website a lot by encouraging honesty.

I don't think anonymity is a concern to most pianists, who generally WISH to connect with other human beings and share their love for piano.

It wouldn't be required to verify via social media. What I'm suggesting is showing a little icon on profiles that have been verified. It'd just be a helpful hint as to who's really serious about being a real human, a real pianist, connecting with real people via this website.

I've successfully run off trolls on other websites I've been involved with via moderation and other means, perhaps I can have a positive impact here as well. Kinda requires the folks involved to take heed though.

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 03:18:34 AM

I do not have a Facebook account, and have no intention of getting one just to prove to you that I'm not a fake.  I value my anonymity.

I'll second that, with some vigour.  I assure you that I am quite real, and that I have been a professional pianist, organist and choir master (or mistress?) for more than 5 decades, and that I am quite entitled to the name on my signature.  It is not, however, the name by which I am known professionally, and I have no desire to have such a link be made.
Ian

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 03:58:50 AM
2-step verification, if moderating spam is a problem.

I think most people would (or should) be horrified at adding to the stack of information owned by some company.  Not being paranoid, or some conspiracy nut, just that I believe if I'm giving someone something, like data and their relations, beyond the bare minimum to have scrupulously-kept-discrete Facebook-space and Google/Android-space (not linked to any other sites like scribd or Amazon or pinterest, twitter, YouTube, or anything -- yeah, I know, it's a losing battle, but whatever), I want to be paid in cash.  I don't believe in doing stuff for free, period.  Just my policy.

For me, I just come here to chat about piano, not to network, make friends, or get money from impressions or click-throughs on a youtube channel or private website.
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 04:21:58 AM
Tbh I think everyone has the right to post anonymously / pseudonymously if they choose to, and I don't see why that right should be forfeited on account of a very small percentage  (not a "plague", I'd suggest) of users.

And the argument about social media verification is flawed anyway: it doesn't take more than a cursory glance at controversial online topics to spot that some people are quite happy to post highly offensive comments under what are presumably their "verified" identities.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline dogperson

Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 06:39:47 AM
Trolls being a plague on PianoStreet?   I think not.  Yes we've had some and they do disappear. What has been a plague on PianoStreet is running off new forum members by falsely accusing them of being a troll.   Post as a beginner but have a piano that would be  considered to be too good, obviously a troll. have a knowledge of musical history, but have a question about execution, obviously a troll,

Look at the posts on this forum  now, there are very few beginners because they had been run off by being accused of being a troll.  Want to be helpful to PianoStreet?  paranoia should be stopped and those  that are paranoid should  refrain from posting their delusional thoughts. 

Think I'm a troll because I don't support  some cute little icon that would confirm a two-step their verification process?   Go ahead with your paranoid thoughts. I would not be subjected to such a policy,  either voluntary or mandatory. 

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 02:21:11 PM
All I know is, this site has had considerably more problems than all other forums I've personally participated in. Is that all my fault? Obviously I offended one new person and I apologized, but they did not accept my apology for whatever reason and I can't control that. I learned my lesson, but that doesn't change this site's history with toxicity and that there are a handful of individuals who are responsible for that.

It's just a shame is all.

It probably doesn't help having seen at least one friend melt down, delete all her posts and leave. That probably makes me more paranoid. I know her (kinda) outside of Facebook and she's a down to earth, nice person just like me. There's something clearly wrong with this site.

It's like the bermuda triangle of internet forums.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 09:25:27 AM
Look at the posts on this forum  now, there are very few beginners because they had been run off by being accused of being a troll.

Undoubtedly.  The offensive posters should be criticized roundly.

paranoia should be stopped

Good point.

and those  that are paranoid should  refrain from posting their delusional thoughts.

Sure, I guess.  People who are unable to articulate in satisfactory language their thoughts about music and performance should also reconsider the extent to which they are competent commentators.

I also think that the Autism Spectrum Disorder folks, and the Myers-Briggs INTP types should be discouraged strongly from their defective attempts to agitate for a competitive spirit among musicians, and attempt to overcome some of the handicaps of their neurodevelopmental disorder by developing natural language skills.

Think I'm a troll because I don't support  some cute little icon that would confirm a two-step their verification process? Go ahead with your paranoid thoughts. I would not be subjected to such a policy,  either voluntary or mandatory.

To the extent I think about people like you at all, you seem like a rummy who should probably sleep it off.
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert