Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Headphones for a Digital Piano  (Read 4319 times)

Offline abhishekchanda

Headphones for a Digital Piano
on: November 08, 2017, 06:36:00 AM
Hi,

I own a Yamaha P115. I am considering purchasing the Sony MDR 7506 Headphone.  There are two variants of it, one with Mic and the other without it.

I wanted to know the significance of the one with Mic. Under what circumstances, is it to be used? Will it be helpful for some live Studio recording or any concert performance.

I will be mostly using it for my practice sessions. Pardon me, if my question sounds too naive.

Offline andrew79

• PS Silver Member
Re: Headphones for a Digital Piano
Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 11:07:42 AM
Hey, it's a great choice for a digital piano. I don't think you'll need a version with Mic, if you're buying these headphones for practice. It's definitely not suitable for " Studio recording or any concert performance". You could use the mic for Skype conversations/ phone calls and that kind of thing.

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 01:15:15 PM
It gets good reviews. 

My relatives who do a lot of gaming use headphones with microphones.  I don't know any other reason for it. 
Tim

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 05:54:08 AM
If you were doing online piano lessons, or some sort of online collaboration you might need a mic.  Otherwise, headphone without mic is just fine. 

The MDR 7506 is a closed design.  Personally, I would prefer open headphones for practicing.  Open headphones give a more natural sound, like hearing something in a room rather than putting a speaker up to your ear.  They can also be more comfortable to wear for long periods because there is airflow into them.  Closed headphones give better sound isolation, in both directions, so you hear less of the stuff around you and people nearby don't hear what you are listing too. 

Have a look at the HD 518 as comparison.  It is open, and about the same price point as the MDR 7506.  See if there is a store around you that lets you audition headphones, so you can hear the difference between open and closed. 

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-518-Headphones-Black/dp/B0042A68R8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline honzaes

Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 09:09:45 AM
For piano, I would recommend AKG K-701 or 702. Many may say there is not enough bass, but thats because most other cheapy headphones have way too much in bass. AKG 701 are well balanced, they got some body of the sound and clarity, and they are absolutely non fatiguing for ears, you can practice for hours. AKG 702 are made in China, generally worse quality than original Austrian production, but still offer great sound at decent price.

Offline abhishekchanda

Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 07:11:04 AM

Offline bronnestam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 08:46:26 AM
Good headphones is essential. I have tried more than one digital piano with lousy headphones, which has completely ruined the whole experience. Playing with a sharp, metallic sound in your ears is no fun ...

So, here at home I have a pair of Koss Porta Pro to my computer. They are amazingly good although they get worn out after a year or so, so I have used quite a few over the years ... I used them for my piano before as well, but since a few years I have a bigger pair which are more closed and feel more stable. Unfortunately I cannot find a model name on them, except "Philips - Closed Back Stereo Headphones". The salesman recommended them to me as very suitable for musicians. I like them a lot. The cord is also long enough.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 02:39:36 PM
you can get by w decent inexpensive ear buds, those that isolate the ear from outside/background noise work great (note not 'noise isolating' in the active sense, just comfy ones that seal the ear entirely do well). I swear by the jvc marshmallow ear buds, usually retain 10-15 bucks, i get them for about 3-8 dollars on line all the time. I never had issues using them w my digital and they worked really well , never had  need or desire for anything else and to date still the only ear buds i'll buy. i hope they never stop making them.
https://www.us.jvc.com/headphones/in_ear/ha_fx32/

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert