Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: Girl nailed it//have to imagine this is sorta what composers did at parties  (Read 2330 times)

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
I had it going in a completely direction than she took it in my head when i heardo the fragment
This type of thing used time be more common but now you are considered prodigious when you pull it off
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Offline sumpianodude

impressive since not many do this stuff anymore...

one thing bugs me...
that ending sounds a little bit too much like the ending of beethoven's op49/1, 1st mvt...

but otherwise this is quite impressive(and a bit enviable, too  ;D)
excuse pleeze de gremmar and spelling and CapItALizaShuns

Offline dogperson

Alma  Deutscher is quite amazing: she has composed a violin concerto, A piano concerto, and an opera. All have been commercial performed.  The documentaries about her are well worth watching

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
It is sad that this sort of activity is not encouraged more in a lot of piano studios.  Many of the compositional devices she used are covered in beginning and intermediate theory courses.  The stylistic material is well chosen to work with improvised music - it would be familiar to a student in Grade 8 - 10 RCM range.

It is so refreshing to hear this young lady improvising.  Thanks for sharing the video.

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline themeandvariation

• PS Silver Member
(Though appropriate for a budding composer), she has Mozart singing in her ear - . I always concern about the 'spectacle effect' on the young one's development..
She is delightful, and definitely connected to a strong path, and obviously talented..

Totally agree, Quantum - "It is sad that this sort of activity is not encouraged more in a lot of piano studios.  Many of the compositional devices she used are covered in beginning and intermediate theory courses."

I do wonder what would have happened though, if the notes she picked were not so 'workable' (i.e. referring directly to the {Gminor} scale.. probably set up that way, noticing the coherence of the flats..)  like say,  B A# C G#…
4'33"

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
(Though appropriate for a budding composer), she has Mozart singing in her ear - . I always concern about the 'spectacle effect' on the young one's development..
She is delightful, and definitely connected to a strong path, and obviously talented..

Totally agree, Quantum - "It is sad that this sort of activity is not encouraged more in a lot of piano studios.  Many of the compositional devices she used are covered in beginning and intermediate theory courses."

I do wonder what would have happened though, if the notes she picked were not so 'workable' (i.e. referring directly to the {Gminor} scale.. probably set up that way, noticing the coherence of the flats..)  like say,  B A# C G#…
i agree w quantum's observations as well.
based on the caliber of her compositions, i'm pretty confident an quirky /unusual fragment though maybe not as developed would not have posed an insurmountable challenge to her. she's really something, i about to hit replay on some of her piano concerto

and at dogperson's suggestion, will scope out the violin concerto as well
i think she's handling the 'spectacle' rather remarkably well  :D

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
"used to be more common?"

it is more common now than it used to be. Improvising is not a 'lost art', it's done and taught frequently all over the place, including conservatories. You should be more specific: hardly anyone wants to spend their career improvising music from the 18th/19th century. There are much more interesting and vibrant genres to spend your time in, that includes contemporary "classical" music too.

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member

I do wonder what would have happened though, if the notes she picked were not so 'workable' (i.e. referring directly to the {Gminor} scale.. probably set up that way, noticing the coherence of the flats..)  like say,  B A# C G#…

What a curiously thing perception is! This is my party trick, and I thought she got a bad pick and did well to find D min from it. To me, your example is obviously in Ab major with the first being a diminished chord!
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline dogperson

Totally agree, Quantum - "It is sad that this sort of activity is not encouraged more in a lot of piano studios.  Many of the compositional devices she used are covered in beginning and intermediate theory courses."

I think if you watch a few of the documentaries about Alma, you will also believe she more than handles the spectacle of her being a prodigy: not just piano, but violin and composition.  During her opera rehearsal, she played the piano, and directed at the same time; her confidence and aplomb made me smile.  I generally agree with your concern re child prodigies, but in this case, i have no worries.

I'm not so sure this was set up as an improvisation... do I absolutely know that?  of course not, but watching how she composes her music, I doubt this is a setup at all.  Per her dad, she was composing before she could write.

• PS Silver Member
Visitor: Yes, Now, remarkably well, of course..
Her compositions are serious.
FWIW, and argument can be made:  As a serious composer, one 'must' also evolve to understand/appreciate (not necessarily adopt)  the musical compositional conversation  Since Mozart (and before as well) .. This is one place where the 'spectacle' can have an effect on her inner ear.. Of course she may want to just continue in her Mozart.. (which could make for many very happy listeners of course, and help the industry..
4'33"

• PS Silver Member
Yes, Ronde, but you translated the #'s into b's - not fair.. The 'look' was part of the puzzle.. ;D
you have a few years on her..
ps.. being that i didn't remember the 'sound' in Dm as you say, but Gm which it is.. (i checked)
But here is the tell, (unless I'm missing something) that she actually Changed the B natural to a Bflat! -  ..  (w B natural  - it is an ascending melodic minor - if started on C - a bit trickier
So…it seems that her inner ear is Already starting to censor :o  or - loves the 'slight of hand' trick
4'33"

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
So this is about Alma?  The video was blocked from viewing where I am, so all I knew is that it was about a "girl".

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Yes, Ronde, but you translated the #'s into b's - not fair.. The 'look' was part of the puzzle.. ;D
you have a few years on her..
ps.. being that i didn't remember the 'sound' in Dm as you say, but Gm which it is.. (i checked)
But here is the tell, (unless I'm missing something) that she actually Changed the B natural to a Bflat! -  ..  (w B natural  - it is an ascending melodic minor - if started on C - a bit trickier
So…it seems that her inner ear is Already starting to censor :o  or - loves the 'slight of hand' trick

I must relisten later! (I saw this a week ago or so.) Yeah I do have the advantage of a few years :p but 'not fair' I don't think.so: I think enharmonically  ;D
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert