Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Another LTCL Program advice request! ;)  (Read 2488 times)

Offline cwhi7345

Another LTCL Program advice request! ;)
on: January 13, 2018, 03:49:08 AM
Hello all,

I am (seriously) pondering taking the next 12-18 months to prepare for my ATCL. I did my ATCL prior to doing my music degree and studied a range of LTCL/LRSM repertoire whilst doing my degree but didn't get around to doing the exam.

I have fairly small hands and am doing this for me... at the moment I am contemplating...

J S Bach Concerto no. 3 in D minor, BWV 974 (after Marcello)

Beethoven Sonata in D minor, op. 31 no. 2 ‘Tempest’

Brahms Rhapsodies op. 79 [both to be played]

Chopin Any two contrasting Études from op. 10 (or Op. 25)

C Vine Bagatelles [any three or more]

As you can see I'm not a huge French/Impressionists/20th Century fan... but are my options just simply all too similar?  ::) ::) ::)

Offline symphonicdance

• PS Silver Member
Re: Another LTCL Program advice request! ;)
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 09:23:00 AM
In this part of the world......

J S Bach Concerto no. 3 in D minor, BWV 974 (after Marcello) - popular choice
Beethoven Sonata in D minor, op. 31 no. 2 ‘Tempest’ - super super super popular choice
Brahms Rhapsodies op. 79 [both to be played] - popular choice
Chopin Any two contrasting Études from op. 10 (or Op. 25) - popular choice
C Vine Bagatelles [any three or more] - rare choice

Though you may not be a big fan of French or 20th Century Music, you better go for the "safer" choices.  Examination fee is not a penny these days. 

When I was young, I played Chopin and Schumann a lot.  However, I never used them in my ATCL ~ FTCL diploma examinations.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert