Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Is it piano or is it me?  (Read 1927 times)

Offline justpianoplayer

Is it piano or is it me?
on: January 19, 2018, 08:32:50 PM
Hello community.Recently i've noticed that my piano is working against me ;D It is really hard for me to play the fast sections of piece,because i feel as if my piano tiles were pushing me back real hard.It is really taugh for me to get these sections running,because it needs to be pushed really hard.What could be the reason of this and is there a way to fix it?
Don't recommend  buying new one ,please :D

Offline stevensk

Re: Is it piano or is it me?
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 09:33:05 PM
Dont push hard. Practise hard  ;)

Offline ryoutak

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 01:30:34 AM
Hello community.Recently i've noticed that my piano is working against me ;D It is really hard for me to play the fast sections of piece,because i feel as if my piano tiles were pushing me back real hard.It is really taugh for me to get these sections running,because it needs to be pushed really hard.What could be the reason of this and is there a way to fix it?
Don't recommend  buying new one ,please :D

May I ask what kind/brand of piano are you using?

I used to feel this way when I was using my new piano while playing scales, but after a year or so of practice I got the hang of it and was able to play scales much quicker.

Unless your keys are way too old and has not been maintained properly, that could be the reason too.

Offline justpianoplayer

Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 07:40:31 AM
My piano is ,,BELARUS".And i've had it for a long time,like 12 years already.

Offline justpianoplayer

Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 07:42:14 AM
Dont push hard. Practise hard  ;)

It's not about practice anymore :) Because,when i use the piano in the Musical Center(where i take lessons),it is so much easier and smoother on a piano placed there.
I'm just interested if this piano is somehow fixable

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 10:39:57 AM
It's not about practice anymore :) Because,when i use the piano in the Musical Center(where i take lessons),it is so much easier and smoother on a piano placed there.
I'm just interested if this piano is somehow fixable

if it has changed over time it may need to be regulated, pianos require that from time to time.
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline justpianoplayer

Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 11:02:48 AM
if it has changed over time it may need to be regulated, pianos require that from time to time.
I agree about the tuning.It really needs to be tuned,but would it fix the problem i have?

Offline dogperson

Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 11:24:45 AM
I agree about the tuning.It really needs to be tuned,but would it fix the problem i have?

Piano tuning affects the pitch of the notes.  Piano regulation is to affect the way the moving parts act, yes, lack of regulation may be the problem,  Find a technician and Tell him you want to piano tuned and regulated. You might want to read this about regulation

https://www.ptg.org/Scripts/4Disapi.dll/4DCGI/cms/review.html?Action=CMS_Document&DocID=59&MenuKey=Menu7

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 11:31:30 AM
I wasn't speaking about tuning. When your piano gets tuned the tech might touch up a key here or there that is out of regulation ( adjustment of the action of that key). A full regulation is generally a separate visit. Tuning is to adjust the strings into tune with one another, regulation is to adjust the keys into proper action and how they react to your fingers and also how they touch the strings and return again.. When pianos get really worn, then the action might need rebuilding or replacement even...
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline justpianoplayer

Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 12:30:04 PM
Oh,thanks guys for the information.I didn't really know about the ,,regulation".I'll definetly find a technician !
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert