Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Help Needed! How to tell whether to play a note with left hand or right hand?  (Read 1723 times)

Offline libraboy

• PS Silver Member
Hey guys,

I'm learning the Anton Rubinstein Grande Etude No 2 (Op 93, No 2). However I just can't figure out which of the notes in the scales passages you play with your left hand and which with your right hand. That's particular the case with the first note of the scale (the rest of the notes in the scale I can figure out by the direction of the note-stems), as sometimes the first note of the scale is a chord with multiple notes, so I don't know to play the whole chord with the same hand or split it with both hands)

For example, in the first scale of the etude (The A major scale), do I play the first A with my left hand or right hand? (I assume the rest of the scale I play with my right hand since the note-stems are pointing up). Then what about the first G in the next scale?

Thanks so much! (I've attached some sheets from the score below and the full score is at https://ks.imslp.net/files/imglnks/usimg/a/a8/IMSLP08346-Rubinstein_-_Op.93_-_Miscellenies_-_Bk.2_-_2_Grandes_Etudes.pdf)