Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Sensitivity of fingertips  (Read 1560 times)

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Sensitivity of fingertips
on: April 02, 2018, 03:15:41 PM
I've noticed over the past year that my fingertips -- just from piano and, to a lesser extent, probably doing a lot of computer-jockeying -- have pretty much callouses that could put a string player back in their place.

Anyone noticed this?  I've never heard anyone talk about pianists getting callouses.  Pretty evenly distributed, given obviously, you use all ten fingers (or less if you had a bandsaw accident).

Another thing, part of this new straight job I picked up includes helping out people on a warehouse floor -- THAT really has deadened my fingertip sensitivity, such that they're basically stumps.

I know a lot of great jazz guys were, you know, boxers, or manual labor types.

It kind of is dispiriting to not be able to feel as directly the keys, BUT I think it is probably not as much a problem as I suspect.

The nerve damage from getting handcuffed and thrown in the drunk tank a few years ago was far more of concern.

Anyway, just soliciting anecdotes or opinions from others.
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.

Offline superbsabrina33

Re: Sensitivity of fingertips
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 01:14:17 AM
Hello!
I personally don't play guitar, but I have a brother who plays both guitar, viola, and a little piano.  I don't really think the guitar playing has affected his touch sensitivity on piano that much, but instead the callouses only made his hand stronger and more agile on piano.  I don't know if this is the answer you want to hear, but I was just looking for forums to reply to since I was bored. :)
-Sabrina

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert