Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: I'm very stuck. Can anyone identify this Romantic piece?  (Read 1717 times)

Offline calf

So I heard years ago a well-known piece that I don't know the name of. I could recognize it given the music, but I don't remember anything except for the main motif. It is a delicate right-hand arpeggio/fingerwork of some sort, followed by a piano/pianissimo "response" (a gentle, rhythmic "mi-re-do") in the middle register. This motif then repeats/modulates (which I guess is obvious for a Romantic era piece). Very very roughly:

Help! It is like having an itchy earworm except you can barely remember/reconstruct it.

At first I thought it was maybe Schubert's 4th Impromptu:
. But my (possibly wrong) memory of it was an upwards motion and overall something even more subtle/delicate. Any tips would be appreciated.

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Re: I'm very stuck. Can anyone identify this Romantic piece?
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 12:20:30 PM
Can you attach the midi file so I don't have to try and work out how it sounds please :D

also based on your description, and your thought it could be this Impromptu, have you checked out his other impromptus?

I'm wondering if it's maybe op 90 no 2?

"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline clouseau

Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 05:31:19 PM
This Motiv is called "Mannheimer Rakete" (Rocket of Mannheim) and is very common in the classical Era.
Just a shot in the dark: Maybe it's Beethoven op.2 No.1? Or op.10 no.1?
But the notes and rhythm are quite different, you say though you haven't heard it for years...
"What the devil do you mean to sing to me, priest? You are out of tune." - Rameau

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 09:13:59 AM
I thought of the opening to one of Mendelssohns Consolations without words... in E Major?

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert