Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Prokofiev Piano Concerto No.3 - my final evolution  (Read 1408 times)

Offline mrcreosote

• PS Silver Member
I've listened to the P ever since Cliburn recorded it.  I liked it.  I liked the Rach 3 more when I was young.

However, in my 50's, when surveying Thirty Two Short Films About Glen Gould looking for short, impressive, unattended piano pieces, I discovered P's Precipitato.  (I did learn the Visions "Ridiculosamente" [how can you not love P after that notation!] after hearing it on public radio)

Then Lang Lang Goes Crazy - the finale of P3 (which I learned also.)

Tocatta was electric in some places.

But revisiting P3 (Nahre Sol partially to blame(!))   Martha going at it is a joy.  LL can sure turn up the wick too.

I realized Prok was "scratching an itch I just couldn't reach!"  (Yuja Wang said something to the effect there are times when she has to play her Prok - I like to wallow in it, maybe she does too)

I've tried looking beyond P but the going gets too tough - for one thing, reading or playing the score or such works is useless - I have to hear them performed to understand what was written. 

I think there is an "undiscovered land" for me in Debussy, but he is just too difficult - I don't have the technique and am simply not particularly familiar with his works. 

Shostakovich's 5th is stupendous but can't get a connection with any of his piano music (a transcription of the 5th?)

I madly love Ligeti's Mysteries of the Macabre and have been sorting through his piano music.

I just don't know if I will evolve past P given I'm 65.  But P connected very late in life - a life spent infatuated with Rach, and Bach, Bee and Chop when young.

But seriously, I would jump at a performance of P3 over R3.  Not a doubt in my mind.