Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: VIDEO: Debussy, Clair de lune  (Read 2122 times)

Offline lateromantic

• PS Silver Member
VIDEO: Debussy, Clair de lune
on: May 09, 2018, 03:42:29 PM
I've seen a lot of vastly different renditions of Debussy's Clair de lune and a lot of debate about how literally to take its rhythm, so I decided to record my own interpretation.  The piece is in 9/8 meter, which with my background as music theorist I interpret as three beats to the measure.  Some people advocate counting it in nine, but I count it in three: 1&&2&&3&& - adjusting the subdivisions, of course, wherever the division of the beat is duple rather than triple.  Although I allow for some freedom (perhaps too much for some purists), my interpretation is relatively strict.  I maintain constant awareness of the beat, counting to myself throughout.  Yes, I believe it is possible to count and to feel the emotion of the piece simultaneously.

The section starting at bar 15, marked "Tempo rubato," obviously calls for more freedom.  Debussy's rhythm suggests that each of the two note phrases in bb. 15-16 and 17-18 should include an accelerando followed by a ritardando, so I take that as the starting point for my rubato here.

The left-hand tonic arpeggio in the penultimate measure consists of six sixteenth notes followed by six eighth notes, but I interpret that as a shorthand for a gradual ritardando.

The piece was originally titled "Promenade sentimentale," and the composer changed the name to "Clair de lune" later.  But since the image of moonlight seems to fit the piece very well, I took the liberty of working some moon imagery into the video. :)

I hope you enjoy it, and I welcome your comments!

Offline dogperson

Re: VIDEO: Debussy, Clair de lune
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 06:10:02 PM
Wonderful performance, as always 😊
Here is a link to Debbusy’s thoughts on rubato That I think you’ll find interesting if you haven’t read it. You may not change your interpretation but it will give you something to think about, which is never bad
https://djupdal.org/karstein/debussy/method/m06.shtml

Offline lateromantic

• PS Silver Member
Re: VIDEO: Debussy, Clair de lune
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 08:29:10 PM
Here is a link to Debbusy’s thoughts on rubato That I think you’ll find interesting if you haven’t read it.
https://djupdal.org/karstein/debussy/method/m06.shtml
Thanks for sharing that!  I have heard a recording of the composer's own playing of Clair de lune, but I had not seen these remarks of his quoted.  Debussy seems to be calling not for a metronomic interpretation, and also not for uncontrolled rubato with sudden tempo changes, but for something intermediate - and I agree wholeheartedly.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert