Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Is Chopin's Music Copyrighted?  (Read 2106 times)

Offline patrickbcox

• PS Silver Member
Is Chopin's Music Copyrighted?
on: May 19, 2018, 02:22:21 PM
I posted my own recording of a Chopin Waltz on Soundcloud and the recording was promptly deleted by Soundcloud due to Copyright violation.  Is Chopin's music copyrighted?  If so, I didn't realize that.  And then where else can I upload my own recordings to share in various social media platforms?

Thanks!
Patrick

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Re: Is Chopin's Music Copyrighted?
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 02:55:31 PM
He died in France back in 1849, what do you think? The thing here is that Soundcloud's programmers are retarded, so their algorithms for content identification are flawed. What they're really matching you with is some other (verified) classical musician's discography with Chopin's Waltz in it. File a complaint or just use Youtube.

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 03:15:00 PM
That's funny. I posted a little piano piece of mine on Soundcloud and it was deleted. I could never figure out why since it was my own music and I'm the only person who has ever played it. I did a search for the title and a whole lot of Mincecraft related stuff came up. Go figure ::).

Offline patrickbcox

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 05:17:40 PM
He died in France back in 1849, what do you think? The thing here is that Soundcloud's programmers are retarded, so their algorithms for content identification are flawed. What they're really matching you with is some other (verified) classical musician's discography with Chopin's Waltz in it. File a complaint or just use Youtube.

I didn't think it would be copyrighted but the message from Soundcloud mentioned there might be copyrights in other countries so I wasn't sure.  I did protest so we will see how they respond.  I don't want to keep dealing with this so I might look for other options.

Thanks.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert