Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Senior recital programming: Ravel Miroirs? Or other suggestions?  (Read 1652 times)

Offline afarmboysforte

Hey, y'all!

I just finished up my whirlwind of a junior year in high school, and finally getting some solid practice time in ;D So I'm wanting to start preparing for my senior recital of sorts, a really good farewell to all my family and friends, as well as a farewell to the piano since I won't be actively practicing for a few years in college :'(

I've given a few lengthier recitals, but never a full recital, and I'm really wanting to by this time next year, so now comes the exciting time of programming!! I've just finished polishing Chopin's 2nd Ballade and Liebermann's 4th Nocturne, so I am in need of some pieces. To give you an idea of my skill, in addition to the ballade and nocturne I've recently played/performed Liszt's 12th transcendental (chasse neige), Beethoven's op 109, Schumann's Abegg variations, Ravel's Sonatine, among others.

For my recital, I'm wanting to play the Chopin, Liebermann, and then either learn Beethoven's op 2 no 3 or resurrect the 109, so I'm looking for another substantial piece that would work with this program, and that I absolutely adore since this is my last recital. I thought about learning the complete set of Ravel's Miroirs... yeah, I know. It's probably too difficult for me to pull off by then, but I thought I would ask all of you guys what you think of this... If it's possible to maintain the ballade and nocturne, (and either relearn the 109 or learn the op 2 no 3) and learn the complete Miroirs. I'd appreciate your thoughts, as I've looked at the sheet music, and of course can identify the basic difficulties involved, but I know that there is always more than meets the eye at first glance...

Also, I'm open to any other suggestions as well!! I don't want a heavy heavy romantic piece, as I feel like even though that's what I gravitate towards, I need some balance in my program. I've thought about Bach-Busoni Chaconne, but that might be a little short for what I'm looking for, and if I tackle that it'd be too hard to learn something else. Looking forward to hearing all y'all's thoughts!

Best regards

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Mirrors is a kickass piece and would work well with your program.

Try looking at some of the Scriabin sonatas or some Albeniz Iberia or Granados Goyescas.

Albeniz is closer to Ravel and Granados and early Scriabin are kinda romantic but they're not overkill either

Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Hindemith 1 would be a cool too

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert