Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Octaves in Tcherepnin's Bagatelle Op. 5 No. 1  (Read 1022 times)

Offline maplecleff1215

Octaves in Tcherepnin's Bagatelle Op. 5 No. 1
on: May 22, 2018, 08:13:26 PM
I'm struggling with the octave section in the piece (measures 6 and 7). I have fairly small hands, reaching an okay octave at best and barely a ninth at the most. I have no problem playing slower octaves, but this piece has them jumping in fast fourths right next to each other (and they're fortissimo). Does anyone have any tips of reducing tension when playing the octaves in this particular piece?

(octaves at 0:14-0:23)

Offline themeandvariation

• PS Silver Member
Re: Octaves in Tcherepnin's Bagatelle Op. 5 No. 1
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 11:12:03 PM
The visual field is wide at the octave jumps.. Narrow your visual focus to the thumbs - they are next to each other, and just feel the 5th finger in each hand..  Don't play ff while practicing.. Keep wrists loose.. It is harder to keep wrists loose of you feel the octave to be an uncomfortable stretch - at the limit of your extension.. Still give it a try. Not too fast at first, as your eyes need to adjust as well..
4'33"

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert