Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: What could be next?  (Read 1842 times)

Offline faa2010

• PS Silver Member
What could be next?
on: May 24, 2018, 03:19:10 AM
Greetings,

I have played the next pieces:

Sinfonia 1 of Bach
Nocturne op 9 no 1 of Chopin
Minuet sur nom d'Haydn of Ravel
Sonata Hob 27 G major of Haydn
Gavota o M Ponce
Czerny op 299, exercises 1 and 2

Currently I am practicing for the next week exam:

Sonata no 8, 1st mov of Mozart
Reverie of Debussy

The teacher told me to study new material on vacations and after the exam, but I am not pretty sure which pieces could I play based on my level.

I want to play another Sinfonia, but I am not sure which order to follow, like with the Inventions, because Sinfonia 1 was the first one I played. The sonata I will continue with the one of Mozart. About romanticism, I would ike to play another of Chopin, but I have played a lot of him that I am not sure which piece can be next (the maximum level I played was Grande Valse Brillante op 18), but also I would like something new of another romantic composer. And about S XX, one of my main goals is to play Une Barque sur l'Ocean of Ravel, but right now is far of my reach, so I want to play something which could make me go closer to my goal.

What do you think?, which pieces can I play during summer (besides lesson 3 of Czerny)

Offline nocturnist97

• PS Silver Member
Re: What could be next?
Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 06:32:08 AM
If you are still unsure what to play:

regarding some romantic composers I would say Schumann or Liszt are worth checking out.
Take a look at Schumanns Phantasiestücke Op. 12 or maybe his Arabeske in C Major.

You could also play Liszts Consolations, his Romance (Oh pourqoi donc), the latter has a lot of arpeggiated chords in the 2. part (maybe that gets you closer to Ravel?) or if you want something more nocturnal Liszts Liebesträume are always worth checking out.

You might also want to explore something like Waltzes? I love Tchaikovsky's Valse Sentimentale or Chopin's Op. 64 No. 2! So fun to play :)

Anyways I hope you found what you were looking for, I personally can't play enough romantic pieces at the moment.

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 10:47:50 PM
For the next Sinfonia? C minor is my favorite, and no harder than the first. B minor sounds flashy but is not as hard as many of the others.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 11:04:49 PM
Find some graded piano lists and use those as a reference point.  They're not perfect but they give you some idea of difficult.  And decide what path you want -- Focusing on certain composers?  Always picking different ones?  Ditto with time period.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline faa2010

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 04:04:35 PM
For the next Sinfonia? C minor is my favorite, and no harder than the first. B minor sounds flashy but is not as hard as many of the others.

Thanks, I have begun studying it. However, I am worried about a health issue which is making me feel afraid to play, my right index finger is twitching. I hope is nothing important, but I will study little by little in order to not make worse the condition.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert