Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Is Brand Really Important in a Piano?  (Read 2462 times)

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Is Brand Really Important in a Piano?
on: April 10, 2003, 01:20:16 PM
I've played a couple lovely sounding pianos with not very well-known brand names so I've been wondering, is brand really that important in a piano?  
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frederic Chopin

Offline frederic

• PS Silver Member
Re: Is Brand Really Important in a Piano?
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2003, 11:05:08 AM
no!
"The concert is me" - Franz Liszt

Offline tosca1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 11, 2003, 11:51:55 AM
I would say yes and no.  Buying a piano represents a considerable investment and most of us would feel happier purchasing a piano of a brand that reassured us through its reputation and distinctive tonal qualities.

Branding helps us choose a piano as we may have specific preferences for piano tone. Do we want the power and brilliance of a Steinway or the warmth and velvet richness of Blüthner? The reputation and tonal characteristics of these two brands have been well established by 150 years of piano building.

There is now a plethora of little known piano brands that are often of asian origin which is not to say that there are no lovely sounding pianos among them.  

However, apart from the sound qualities of an instrument, tuning stability, durability and stuctural longevity are critical criteria in the choice of a piano and that rests primarily on the name and reputation of the maker.

Robert.  

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2003, 08:26:25 AM
Brand is only important as it relates to how and where the piano was built, and perhaps resale considerations.  Since each *brand* dicatates its own *specification*, each piano will be different, not only in the way it plays, sounds, and looks, but it how long it lasts.  This is where you would have to pay some attention to brand, because how it plays and sounds you can tell by playing it!  
So much music, so little time........
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert