Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Piano concerto that can be learned quickly and has a simple orchestra part?  (Read 2252 times)

Offline _piano_angel

• PS Silver Member
Hello everyone  :)
Is here anyone, who knows a piano concerto which fits what is written in the subject?
I've been learning Rachmaninov's second for a while but my teacher told me that this one would be too hard for the school orchestra, so I would most likely not get the chance to play it with an orchestra for a while.
Because I want to have some experience with that before applying to a music school, I still wanted to learn one that maybe also isn't that hard and can be learned in a short amount of time and is easy to play for the orchestra, so that I could actually get a chance to play it ;D
I kind of like Mozart's 21st and Shostakowitsch's second but I don't really know  :-\
If someone has recommendations, please tell me  :)
Learning:
Chopin etudes: 10/1, 10/2, 10/4
Messiaen vingt regards No.2
Beethoven sonata op.7
Schumann Abegg variations

Offline blazekenny

• PS Silver Member
Hello everyone  :)
Is here anyone, who knows a piano concerto which fits what is written in the subject?
I've been learning Rachmaninov's second for a while but my teacher told me that this one would be too hard for the school orchestra, so I would most likely not get the chance to play it with an orchestra for a while.
Because I want to have some experience with that before applying to a music school, I still wanted to learn one that maybe also isn't that hard and can be learned in a short amount of time and is easy to play for the orchestra, so that I could actually get a chance to play it ;D
I kind of like Mozart's 21st and Shostakowitsch's second but I don't really know  :-\
If someone has recommendations, please tell me  :)
Grieg, Liszt E flat ?

Offline _piano_angel

• PS Silver Member
Grieg, Liszt E flat ?
I don't really like the Grieg but I'll check out the Liszt concerto, so thanks ;D
Learning:
Beethoven sonata op.7

Offline dogperson

Check out pisnosyllabus.com
Bach concertos at Grade 6, Haydn at Grade 7 ...., both are graded easier than Grieg and Liszt

Sorry,  I have not played any of them 

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
what are the parameters? single movement? whole thing? total play time limit ? dies it need to be a true concerto ? do you have access to the wind band vs just strings?

ie this is super cool, easyish and short
https://vimeo.com/21395580
its brevity is part of why it challenging for the ensemble , but a rad  enjoyable work nonetheless

Offline blazekenny

• PS Silver Member
Check out pisnosyllabus.com
Bach concertos at Grade 6, Haydn at Grade 7 ...., both are graded easier than Grieg and Liszt

Sorry,  I have not played any of them 
To be honest, I also struggled quite a bit with the Liszt concerto, especially the fourth movement. But I know a lot of people who learned it as their first concerto and didn't have any major problems with it.

Also, it is fairly short and relatively easy for the orchestra.

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
If you're just gonna do a movement one of the Chopin concertos could do.

Except the orchestra part might bore the ensemble to death
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline _piano_angel

• PS Silver Member
Thanks for all the answers, I'll check out the ones written about  :)

I think a whole concerto is more likely, but it could be that a single movement is fine too. I think they have both and it would be better if it's a concerto although it really depends and shouldn't be too long, not over 40 minutes at least.
Learning:
Beethoven sonata op.7

Offline jinfiesto

• PS Silver Member
Bach D minor. You can almost play it with a string quartet.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert