Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: Performance repertoire  (Read 1851 times)

Offline artlin02

• PS Silver Member
Performance repertoire
on: July 24, 2018, 04:24:27 PM
I was invited to play for ca 20 minutes at an old people’s home next month. I’m already prepared to play Chopin nocturne op 9 no 2 (is about 4 min) but don’t know what else. So if anyone have any suggestions. Preferably something not to loud, dark (because of hearing aid and demetia) or to hard. Need to fill out those 15 minutes left with something I can learn in a month.
Thank you

Offline dogperson

Re: Performance repertoire
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 04:37:56 PM
I was invited to play for ca 20 minutes at an old people’s home next month. I’m already prepared to play Chopin nocturne op 9 no 2 (is about 4 min) but don’t know what else. So if anyone have any suggestions. Preferably something not to loud, dark (because of hearing aid and demetia) or to hard. Need to fill out those 15 minutes left with something I can learn in a month.
Thank you

Unless you were specifically asked to play classical, I would suggest you consider pop music from the 30s through 50’s, show tunes (from older productions) and standards.  My piano teacher plays once a month, and that is her repertoire.... no classical.

If you are considering an all classical repertoire, discuss with the activities director.  Old classical favorites such as ‘Clair de lune’  adagio from Pathetique and Moonlight Sonata come to mind.  Pick standard favorites.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 05:08:00 PM

8)

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 12:51:16 AM
scriabin's 5th sonata followed by schoenberg miniatures.

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 03:08:28 PM
Erik Satie gymnopedies and gynosses however tf you spell them

Jazz also works very well
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert