Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Czerny op 299 no 3  (Read 2171 times)

Offline faa2010

• PS Silver Member
Czerny op 299 no 3
on: August 27, 2018, 03:31:03 AM
Greetings,

I am learning to play the Czerny op 299 no 3, could you give me some advice so I can play it better and faster please?

Thanks

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Re: Czerny op 299 no 3
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 03:20:28 PM
Practice 3-4 hours per day
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 02:25:31 PM
Straight and to the point @Pnecilart3 lol

But seriously really it comes down to your goals and timeframe. as a hobby pianists, with regards to practice time alone, consistency is important, but you can get away with 30-60 minutes a day if you have no pressure to learn this piece.

With regards to your actual question  - better and faster
better = slow practice
faster = fast practice

You can't improve sound / accuracy without practising it slow IMO
and you can't improve speed without practicing fast. that is continuing to push your speed at which you can play accurately.

Lastly this doesn't happen over night.. or even a couple weeks. you will often hear people practicing pieces for 3-6 months to get the speed or performance where they want.

So more than anything - don't give up!

EDIT

Just actually listend to your performance. Uh... I guess i'm hoping this is probably a few days to 1 week's worth of practice at around 1 hour a day.

If you have been practicing for 2+ weeks and you can't push the speed further than this, you may need something a little easier
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline dw4rn

• PS Gold Member
Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 08:14:13 AM
I have a question for you faa2010:
How much have you been working on broken chords and arpeggios before tackling this piece?

It's hard to give any specific advice on technique when we can't see you playing. But a possible problem could be that you are not really comfortable finding your way among all these broken chords running up and down the keyboard. A possible solution would then be to practice broken chords separately and start with simpler forms, one chord at a time.

I would also like to add to adodd81802:s advice that if you are going to practice fast, you need to do it in small portions. Start with one bar at a time, and then maybe four bars.

Offline faa2010

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 12:02:50 PM
Ok, I will be honest. I have started to play this piece in July. I have had health problems since May related to finger twitching, so I have practiced slowly and less.

No, I haven't played arpeggios or broken chords as exercises, I have been with chromatic exercises instead.

My teacher this week told me to start no 4. I am aware that the piece is not mastered yet, but she told me to start the next one. I am not sure why she asked me to go on, but I will have to tell her about it and my finger twitching.

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 12:16:16 PM
Yeah I think your questions you have posted on here should be directed towards your teacher.
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline dogperson

Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 02:11:52 PM
Ok, I will be honest. I have started to play this piece in July. I have had health problems since May related to finger twitching, so I have practiced slowly and less.

No, I haven't played arpeggios or broken chords as exercises, I have been with chromatic exercises instead.

My teacher this week told me to start no 4. I am aware that the piece is not mastered yet, but she told me to start the next one. I am not sure why she asked me to go on, but I will have to tell her about it and my finger twitching.

Anytime there is pain or symptoms such as finger twitching, that needs to be a priority for discussion with a teacher...,,much higher than ‘I’m not playing this fast enough’. If you are not comfortable with discussing these things with your teacher, you should find another one.

The fact that your teacher asked you to move on to another exercise should be a situation where you ask ‘why, I’m not playing this one very fast’.  Learning as an adult should involve the sharing of information and a dialogue. 

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 02:46:51 PM
Very much second the above about sharing! And you also need to be firm sometimes... When I started having issues with my wrist few years ago I had to just plain tell my teacher that I cannot (and will not) practice a piece anymore because it aggravated my wrist (that had been exposed to too much mousing). Nothing had visually changed about my playing so she could not tell I was doing anything wrong but I had to trust my feelings. I returned to the said piece later and I am still playing it with no problems, but for a while I had to avoid such things. I am an adult and my heath is my responsibility and I would never risk permanent injury just to please a teacher.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 04:29:52 PM
My professor has two rules:

1. Play what you want to hear
2. Play so that it's easy

If you ever violate one of these, reconsider.
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert