Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Rachmaninoff etude  (Read 2128 times)

Offline joaosousa

• PS Silver Member
Rachmaninoff etude
on: September 03, 2018, 10:43:37 AM
Hey guys,

I need to pick a rachmaninoff etude and I’m having some difficulty. Some of my last repertoire was Rachmaninoff’s prelude op. 32 no. 12, Scriabin’s Etude Op. 8 No. 12 and No. 5, Ravel’s Sonatine, Beethoven’s Op. 13 (Pathetique), Chopin’s Etude Op. 25 No. 12, No. 1 and Op. 10 No. 12.

Do you think any of these exudes would be too difficult (considered I played the pieces above fairly well):

- Op. 33 no. 2;
- Op. 33 no. 3;
- Op. 33 no. 4;
- Op. 39 no. 5. (Is this one too hard?)

Thank you in advance.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Rachmaninoff etude
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 01:10:16 PM
take two weeks Practice each from them for about 30on to 1 hr each, after two weeks take.stock of the the two you have progressed the least on, set aside for later, of those left practice them about 1 hr each for 2 more weeks, then re evaluate at the end which one you LIKE the most , if you love both equally, choose the one that is least similar to what you've recently learned or played :)

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 01:50:50 PM
You've played a lot of etudes lately...what makes you want to play another??
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline joaosousa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 02:24:35 PM
take two weeks Practice each from them for about 30on to 1 hr each, after two weeks take.stock of the the two you have progressed the least on, set aside for later, of those left practice them about 1 hr each for 2 more weeks, then re evaluate at the end which one you LIKE the most , if you love both equally, choose the one that is least similar to what you've recently learned or played :)

I can’t , I’m going to college in 2 weeks and I need to bring something to my professor :)

Offline joaosousa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 02:26:43 PM
You've played a lot of etudes lately...what makes you want to play another??

This is some of the stuff I’ve played in the last 3 years. I’ve played more sonatas and Bach preludes, etc. I just wrote this pieces because I feel their difficulties are more relatable to the etudes I’m considering. I need 2 etudes for college.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 07:16:08 PM
I see. I am a freshman pianist also..Good luck!
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline joaosousa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 08:29:04 PM
I see. I am a freshman pianist also..Good luck!

Thank you! Good luck to you too!

Offline xdjuicebox

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 12:01:16 AM
You'll be fine with all of them. Have fun!
I am trying to become Franz Liszt. Trying. And failing.

Offline rob47

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 05:55:22 AM
go with 39/5 it's pianistic and so brilliantly written and the "easiest" of the hard ones imo but also so rewarding
OR go with 39/9 also kind of fits that description
"Phenomenon 1 is me"
-Alexis Weissenberg

Offline jinfiesto

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 11:11:27 PM
From what you've said, you seem capable enough to do whichever. If you have to learn on short notice (like 2 weeks) my process is basically to ask myself what piece I'd be ok with listening to non-stop for 2 weeks since that's basically what you're going to be doing. If I don't think I could listen to something constantly for X amount of time, I generally won't learn it on short notice. I don't want to be sick of it when I'm learning it.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert