Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: F. Liszt - Oh! Quand je dors for (transcription for solo piano)  (Read 1128 times)

Offline storyseller

• PS Silver Member

One of Liszt's most beautiful and memorable "nocturnal" melodies, unjustly neglected! I really believe this should be up his "top-10 most famous pieces" ever.

This is the second version of the original song (voice and piano) and Liszt himself did not transcribe it for solo piano unfortunately. So I did it myself :p : In the first section I tried to stick to the original as much as possible. In the middle I added more layers of counterpoint and some (typical for Liszt's era) bravura passages. Then for the last two pages where Liszt's writing  in the original becomes sparce and more transparent I thought that it could (or rather should) be done with the left hand alone, thus giving it an unexpected twist. I hope I stayed true to Liszt's intentions and spirit despite the changes and edits I did.

What do you think?

(The recording is from a live performance in Poros, Greece, 2018 so the sound quality is not the best possible, but I have added the score to make it more accessible.)

Hope you enjoy!

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Re: F. Liszt - Oh! Quand je dors for (transcription for solo piano)
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 02:16:55 PM
Thanks for this! It is a beautiful song and your setting is very Lisztian. I hear harmonic elements in the piece which I feel have similarities to early Wagner.
The lh only section is an interesting twist.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 02:28:12 PM
Thanks for this! It is a beautiful song and your setting is very Lisztian. I hear harmonic elements in the piece which I feel have similarities to early Wagner.
The lh only section is an interesting twist.
fully agree and glad op posted this wonderful rendition/version, a melody i was unfamiliar with but instantly liked.

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 10:04:40 AM
Congratulations, Storyseller, on the transcription and performance!
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline storyseller

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 05:47:51 PM
Thanks everyone.

Ronde, coming from a transcriber such as yourself this is a big compliment.

I still don't get how this piece is virtually unknown to pianists, it's an instant "hit". There are a lot of performances of it on youtube by singers but even very well informed pianists don't know it. It's a shame... 

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 07:31:51 AM
I don't know, I can understand why. Although Liszt is my number 3, after Scriabin and Chopin, I think melody/tunes are his weakest points. What he does with the initial material is often far more interesting than the material itself. Here it's no exception, what you've done is far more interesting than initial theme. It was great to listen to, great work man!

Offline storyseller

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 06:00:58 PM
I don't know, I can understand why. Although Liszt is my number 3, after Scriabin and Chopin, I think melody/tunes are his weakest points. What he does with the initial material is often far more interesting than the material itself.

Agree 100%

Here it's no exception

Disagree 100%. I find this piece quite an exception. This little piece not only has a memorable tune but also (in miniature) a great developmnet section before it recapitulates. I think my transcription just makes it more obvious than the original piano/voice setting.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert