Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Which of these two performances of Petzold have I to choose? Help me, please!  (Read 1002 times)

Offline vladimirdounin

• PS Silver Member
Two of my students want to play the same Petzold Minuet in G Major at a concert. I do not know which of these two to choose for public performance?

Please advise.

And what would you recommend to fix in the music of the other one? What are his problems in this piece?

I will appreciate ANY COMMENTS!

For listening simply click on link.

Petzold Minuet in G-Major

Student  A        https://yadi.sk/d/i8xMLWtrL2xmww

Student  B       https://yadi.sk/d/UQMQpsne4qnnPQ

Thank you in anticipation!

Vladimir

Offline dogperson

On another forum, the OP has indicated this is a repeat PS post from 2006
https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=22203.msg247848#msg247848 :D

Offline vladimirdounin

• PS Silver Member
Why do you spread this lie everywhere?

This recording is made a few days ago and has nothing to do with the recording of 2 sonatinas by Clementi in 2006.

If you can not hear the difference between Petzold's Minuet and Clementi's Sonatina self, you should not think that all the rest can not hear this difference as well. Shame on you!

Offline themeandvariation

• PS Silver Member
Vlad, ask Louis.
4'33"

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Okay - I've bit my tongue for so long, but now I can't do it any longer.

Is anyone confused by the fact that Mr Dounin has asked us here to choose for him which of the 2 performances should be selected, because he doesn't know which to select...

DESPITE him posting only a week and a half ago that he expects us to post recordings of pieces from any range of difficulty:

(from "Mary had a little lamb" to "Islamey" by Balakirev)

...claiming:

I will listen and post here a response note with my corrections for our general discussion.

...and yet he can't choose between two of his own students... despite him being quoted to:

Bring here any recordings of your excellent teacher and concert pianist. And I will point: what they do not know and where they are wrong in their performing.

So he feels he is capable of pointing out the wrongs in Concert pianists, but can't figure out which of his own 2 students should perform???

Offline vladimirdounin

• PS Silver Member
Okay - I've bit my tongue for so long, but now I can't do it any longer.

Is anyone confused by the fact that Mr Dounin has asked us here to choose for him which of the 2 performances should be selected, because he doesn't know which to select...

DESPITE him posting only a week and a half ago that he expects us to post recordings of pieces from any range of difficulty:

...claiming:

...and yet he can't choose between two of his own students... despite him being quoted to:

So he feels he is capable of pointing out the wrongs in Concert pianists, but can't figure out which of his own 2 students should perform???

This is a completely normal and well-known method of learning chess, checkers, cards, etc.

It is called: "turn the table". That is, the student who loses to his coach becomes (as the result of turning the table) almost winning in this game. And the coach now has to save himself from losing, being in the former place of his student.

It works great for learning music. This is my main method: I play for the student his/her piece  with student's  mistakes, and he/she detects them and "teaches me":  how  exactly I have to fix these mistakes.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member

This is a completely normal and well-known method of learning chess, checkers, cards, etc.

It is called: "turn the table". That is, the student who loses to his coach becomes (as the result of turning the table) almost winning in this game. And the coach now has to save himself from losing, being in the former place of his student.

It works great for learning music. This is my main method: I play for the student his/her piece  with student's  mistakes, and he/she detects them and "teaches me":  how  exactly I have to fix these mistakes.

This doesn't even make sense, and wasn't even related to what I said. All you have to do is choose between two students which one can play their piece better - if you can't do that, then stop asking us to do it for you... and learn to make the decision for yourself.

I sense that you're asking for us to do it, is a way for you to criticise our opinion. Do it yourself.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert